Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for LAQs >
  • Question for LAQs

• Question for LAQs

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Be aware when choosing a variegated thread color that matches some of the colors in your quilt the thread can seem to disappear in that area. I also like Superior's Rainbow variegated thread because of it's shine.
    Old 04-26-2012, 05:21 AM

I also use variegated King Tut on my longarm and usually use a coordinated solid Bottom Line on the back. I have used the variegated on both. If you have a quilt without a busy design, the thread is beautiful. As others have said, it can get lost on a busy design. King Tut and Bottom Line do not cause as much linting as some threads do. They are also a bit pricey, but the Bottom Line lasts much longer as it is not as heavy a thread.
    Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should then use a solid color on the top and the variegated on the back maybe. My backing is planned to be a white and pink bold pattern - so maybe the variegated would look good on it. I'll check out all your suggestions for the King Tut and the other brands. I'm taking the top with me to visit my sister in Texas tomorrow so I'm hoping she'll help me pick out the backing while I'm there! You all are the greatest!
    Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM

The variagated thread vary on how much the color changes. Some advertise they have a 1" varigation (color change) others don't say anything. I think the Superior threads have a better subtle change in their threads and look good whether you're stitching curves or straight lines.
    Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM

I agree with spokanequilter about straight line quilting. I was unhappy with my use of varigated thread on my straight line use....too much change in color. Some areas stood out while others didn't. Looked odd to me.
    Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM

i have found on my HQ16, that its easiest to use the same thread top n bottom, to avoid any problems with tension.
    love coats n clarks variegated star thread. Alsew like www.valdani.com for thread, from Canada, beautiful colors and you dont have to open a large account with them. i like their 50wt, looks great AND a bit harder to rip out.
    katz