Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • questions about a kitchenaid cover >
  • questions about a kitchenaid cover

• questions about a kitchenaid cover

Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Default questions about a kitchenaid cover

Hello, all,

I'm going to make a quilted cover for my mom for her KitchenAid. I've found a couple tutorials online, and I like parts of each of them. One called for the use of piping around the edges and I'm not sure I want to do that. Another, you sew the quilted pieces together and turn it inside out, so the edges are inside - that one is nice, but I would like the edges to have a more finished look. Also, what happens to the edges if you wash it? I'd probably have to do a zigzag stitch or something.

So here's what I want to do. Make the quilted pieces and sew them together with the raw edge out, and then bind them like i would the raw edge of a regular quilt. Do you think that would work? I'll be sewing two quilt sandwiches together, which I'm thinking I can do with my walking foot; I'll have to try it before I commit myself. Do you think the binding over the thickness of two sandwiches would be too bulky?

Would love to hear your thoughts - thank you!
    Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
    Power Poster

Yes, lots of utility items, such as covers for small kitchen appliances have binding on the outside of the seams. Since you are not going to be needing to keep the appliances warm, you can go with a thinner craft type batting as long as it's washable. Thermore comes to mind, or a washable felt or thin fleece.
    Do a bit of testing to determine the width of binding needed, and you may need to go with cutting the binding on the bias to go around curves, if there are any in the design.
    Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM

You could also do French seams
    Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM

I'd do French seams if I were making one - easy to do, and it looks very professional. The binding idea is a good one, too, though -- it makes it more 'quilty', but I'd definitely go thin on the batting -- flannel is good & holds up like iron inside a quilt....
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 AM

Made one for myself and daughter. Each has Warm & Natural in them and each was made reversible. Birthed them like a quilt so no binding on bottoms. Minimal quilting on large center section, none on sides.
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 AM

go to juliasneedles.com, they do embroidery but also have free projects and this happens to be one of them. I downloaded it yesterday
    Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 AM

You can serge the inside seams and stitch them down on the outside. My serger also does piping really well, and insetting that piping is easy. Bias bind the bottom. I've covered a breadmaker, food processor and crockpot, and had to juryrig all the sizes. I used Homespun so all edges had to be finished.
    Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Your idea of sewing the quilted pieces with the seams out and bound would work, because I have a ready-made one made just like that. The batting is quite thin. Testing on scraps would answer any concerns IMHO.
    Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 PM

I have made several,some I used the purchased pre quilted fabric, the one that has print on both side. But I think the one I quilted my self has more stand up. I hate sewing the binding on,by machine.I am going to try it by hand,like we do for quilts the next time.This picture is made with the pre quilted fabric.if you would like to see the other quilted one, my picture is on another device. Make sure you cut big enough,when quilting,so you have enough of the fabric , because the quilting makes it smaller. And the more I made the better I became at fitting. I started with a pattern,from one I had worn out from kitchen aid. My best fit came when I took to appliance hand pinned and fitted.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by butter14562; 01-14-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Picture
    Old 01-14-2014, 04:08 PM

I made a set along time ago and the pattern even had on for the bread machine and that little chopping machine. I use two layers of cotton and use seam binding from the store on mine. You can do it. Butter14562 yours are nice.