Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting Phobias >
  • Quilting Phobias

• Quilting Phobias

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 AM

I learned at a workshop recently, that if I square my material on the selvage edge and not across before I cut my strips...cutting them lengthwise...that the triangles are less stretchy. I've started doing it for all my piecing and the blocks are much sturdier and easier to work with.

I've started a double wedding ring and the trick is to put the larger piece on top. If you have your beginning, middle, and ending points marked on each piece, and don't vary from the quarter inch seam allowance, it eases together without any problem. I do go real slow but I like the results so it's worth it.
    Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 AM

Mine is circles but have conquered paper piecing.
    Old 08-19-2011, 04:56 AM

how have you survived without making a triangle. Have you tried the technique of taking 2 squares, sew diagonal, cut off one side, open and you have a 1/2 square triangle??? Is this the kind of triangle you are talking about? Or do you mean the kind you have to add sides to? Like flying geese (one way of doing them), equilateral triangles? Huh????
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 AM

Reverse applique is my fear...I'm leaving that alone for awhile.
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 AM

You are not alone out there. I have no desire to do anything but squares. Have started to do a bit of appliques. Not so difficult if you choose simple things. I made my first yoyo. Wanting to try piecing but will have to wait until other projects are finished. Lots of Info. out there.
    I did go so far as making a "light box" I had a light stick never used, a piece of plexiglass, not used. a cardboard box in the attic.
    And there it sits, but will work when ready.
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 AM

My phobia is not being able to master a skill. I'll try almost everything, but all things don't work out. I have yet to make squares that will sew together nicely.

Please don't give me the practice advice!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I know that one already!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love applique because I can control the curves and placement and I don't have to make blocks if I don't want to. Or, at least, I don't have to make perfectly square blocks.

Bargellos are beautiful to my eye and I love the technique. I love designing them, putting them together, but SID is extremely boring!!! Gotta find another style of quilting for my bargellos. Suppose meandering would work.

My ambition is to make landscape quilts and I think I'm developing skills toward that end.

I made a design for a two fabric applique quilt project and am currently working on that. Thanks to DUNSTER for the inspiration! I can't wait to get it done!

Thus, I think I master the things I really want to do. All others have to wait until I'm inspired to attempt them. This makes me happy!!!
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 AM

I break out in a cold sweat at the mere mention of a Y seam.
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Designate a day to practice all the techniques you feel tentative about. Do them over and over again. I bet in no time flat you will look forward to adding these blocks to a favorite quilt and wonder what ever scared you....Good luck...
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 AM

Everything I do is experimental until I find out what I like. I've been through a lot of fabric trying different things and I'd say about 90% works and the other 10% ends up in the trash. That's why you need to try and see what works, and so what if you loose a scrap of material. I have lots of scraps I'm still wondering what to do until I decided to make pincushions.
    Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM

I am not afraid of applique, I just hate hand work. I doesn't bring me the feeling of peace that it seemed to give my mother when she did it. Now, half square triangles are sorta OK but quarter squares give me the "willies" just thinking about it. I will try curves with drunkard's path when I gear up this winter since I bought that die for my GO cutter. I have made a quilt in the round, a Hopi Sun Quilt. Probably never again. Whew! Just cutting that out was a monster requiring three long rulers to cut each piece and so much WASTE! Love paper piecing but it goes too slow for my charity quilting needs.

All this is to say, I don't think we really have phobias, just comfort zones. And we all ought to step out of them once in a while but that doesn't mean we can't still mostly do what gives us the most pleasure.