Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • repurposing fabrics, do you do it? >
  • repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

• repurposing fabrics, do you do it?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM

I have always Repurposing clothes, etc.
    I call it recycling. I recycle before the word was invented. Been sewing for 53 years. Started when I was 8 yrs.old. Friends would give us garments and I would ripple them up and make what every I could.
    I still doing it all of the time. There is a special feeling you get making something out of nothing. I love shopping at Thrif store, flea markets, garage sale. There are allot of sewing stuff because allot of young folks do not sew.
    This is why I have a large stash. I save everything. I am proud of this.
    Good Luck on your job. Sound like you would do good and learn allot. God Bless
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 PM

I make the potato lefse - my mother always used butter for the oil. I use olive or or coconut oil. I use about 1/3 cup per lefse which is more than 1 Tbsp . That is a great link Rhaorth. thanks. You bake these on a large lefse grill. at about 400 to 450 degrees.
    I have tasted baklava - yum. by the way your photo on your avatar looks like you have beautiful facial skin. Smooth.
    The following is the email for the place (person) I saw when I was at the HostFest in Minot, N.D.
    [email protected]
    you can also go to www.gotlefse.com for more info or call
    1-866-995-3373 They have all kinds of lefse supplies.
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Originally Posted by butterjoy
    I recycle everything that is fabric. Shirts, jeans, sheets, blankets, everything I can because I cannot afford to buy pretty fabrics. You have heard the saying "beggars cannot be choosers" well, that is me. :)
    Thats me, too - and don't we have fun doing it?
    DITTO
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    Some great ideas here. I must start to haunt the charity shops - though I find that a lot of the sheets etc that they sell are just too grotty to use. Does anyone know if there are any books on this sort of thrifty use/reuse of fabric? I'd like to do it more often, as I'm now on a retirement income, and also because I increasingly want to live in a way that respects the planet's limited resources and makes the best use of everything. But I'm often unsure as to what could be used and how, so somee help and inspiration wouldn't go amiss. If there isn't such a book, will one of you ladies please write it!
    There is a book out using Men's Plaids shirts. I do not remember the Author or name. It was on blog. Google Repurposing fabrics and see what you come up with. Books on making Quilts with NeckTies, Jeans, T-Shirt, Hankies, CR Doillies, etc. About anything that is out there. But just use your creative skills and quilting skills. Get everything that you want to work with lay it out on the bed and lay it this way and that way. All kinds of pictures on Internet. Be Creatived everyone can if they can sew.
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM

No I didn't I cut the top fabric of black about 1" and then on the back a strip of fabric about 1 1/2" I sewed the block to one side of the 1" fabric strip and then I took the next block and sewed it to the other side which made but up next to each other, I did this until the row was made. When I put the rows together again with the 1" on the top and the other strip on the bottom and sewed them in the same way so all I had left to hand sew was the back side. I'll be that was as clear as mud. LOL
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    oh I went to the job interview at the fabric store, they will be making a decision sometime next week, and will let me know either way, if I get the job, or not. (the position is for sales, for the machines, cabinets etc, and if I get the job, I will be trained on how to use all the machines they carry I am sooooo hoping I get the job)
    Which fabric store did you interview at? I was at 35th Ave SewNVac last week and one of the cashiers said they are hiring full-time help. Not sure what part of Phoenix you live in, but this place is at 35th Ave/Northern.
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:47 PM

ScrappyAZ that is the store I was interviewed at :)
    Small world, if I get hired, I just might get to meet you one day :)

(walking in there feels like walking into a candy store, I am scared to hope for the job, cuz I know if I hope too much and do not get it, I will be very disappointed)
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
    ScrappyAZ that is the store I was interviewed at :)
    Small world, if I get hired, I just might get to meet you one day :)

(walking in there feels like walking into a candy store, I am scared to hope for the job, cuz I know if I hope too much and do not get it, I will be very disappointed)
    Well, I will certainly send good wishes your way! I live only a mile from the store so I'm there quite a bit.
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 PM

I have a son that works for Broadcom in Tempe. I have been to visit him 4 times. He makes the tiny computor chips.

My daughter was in hotel/resturant management and worked at Camelback in Scottsdale one summer. Beautiful place.

Small world isn't it? Good luck on the job.
    Old 10-09-2011, 05:30 PM

My uncle passed a few years ago and I got the bags of his clothing. One bag was filled with twenty or so pair of llbean sweatpants... gray, navy, burgundy. I made a quilt, which my husband claimed even before it was finished... since I refuse to turn the heat on till Thanksgiving at the earliest.