Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Speaking of s/m trouble..... >
  • Speaking of s/m trouble.....

• Speaking of s/m trouble.....

Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Speaking of s/m trouble.....

I have a BL ellure plus, about 4 yrs old, among an older Viking, same age brother and singer. I was using the BL the other day to put on a blanket stitch on the edges of an Easter bunny (fused w/ lite weight fusible). It was going fine, then it suddenly decided it didn't want to do that so every 6/7 stitches it would do a zigzag sort of stitch...I watched and it made the first part of the "swing" but didn't complete it in the same place...feed dogs seemed to move it a smidge and it looks like a V. Ok, checked out for lint, thread, anything....no! Did it on another piece of cloth..same thing....btw, new needle before started.......turned on Viking....no problem, that thing does anything I ask of it! Finished project. Will take this "thing" in to dealer when I'm planning a "road trip" in that direction...or I may just put it on the middle of a road and watch an 18 wheeler do its thing.
    This had not been a good investment! Think,I'll check out the Viking dealer at JAF.........or are they all the same.....POJ
    Old 03-07-2016, 06:38 AM
    Power Poster

I also love my Vikings. I have a Designer I that I purchased used before the turn of the century and it is still going strong and will sew thru anything. Just check where the machine is made. Since the company was sold, some machines are now made in China. Look on the bottom for the 'made in' info.
    Also ask the dealer about getting a used trade in. They usually come with a limited warranty.
    Old 03-07-2016, 08:59 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like something is wrong with your machine. I would get it in for servicing because something is partially failing.
    Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe compare new price vs. servicing. May be something minor.
    Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Sounds like something is wrong with your machine. I would get it in for servicing because something is partially failing.
    Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM

Another loyal Viking fan here as well. My Platinum (a tad newer than the Designer) will sew anything I throw at it. Love that machine! Sounds like a service is in order for your BL.
    Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM

The dealer can probably fix this with a tune-up. I had a similar experience with my Janome 7700. All's well now.
    Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 AM

I too love Vikings. I just found the perfect 6430 to replace one that I used for over 30 years. It has proved to be everything I loved about my previous one.
    Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 AM

I always say that if anything goes wrong while sewing on my Vikings.....it is the operator not the machine. I have the platinum, Diamond, and I traded in my 6430 to buy my new Epic. Love these machines. I think I may sell the Diamond d/t loving the Epic so much!
    Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 AM

If uou are in the market for a new machine...take a look at the Janome 8900. Made for quilting.
    Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 AM

Me too, While I've switched just about everything else, especially my software over to Floriani and baby lock, I love my Diamond Deluxe, the tension fixes itself, it likes all threads, sometimes I may have to switch positions with the spool but then it'll do what I ask. I love all the large hoops and the 5x7 magnetic ones too.