Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stuck in a slump >
  • Stuck in a slump

• Stuck in a slump

Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sewfanatic40
    How long des it take to get un stuck? I havent sewn a quilt in two months I want to but I go to the material I get everything ready . I just cant force myself to cut the material . I know half of it will be cut wrong and Im gonna get really frustrated but . I want to do it i just cant DO IT . Im open to suggestions .
    Hi,I am in the same state myself,after teaching people patchwork and quilting over the last twenty years I find myself in a 'no can do' situation.I can still give others ideas but just can't seem to help myself.We are moving house next month and I'm hoping then I will find the time to rediscover my inspiration ---quite a drastic step to offer you,however perhaps if you take another craft up for awhile you will come back to the best one of all.Hope you soon come out of the doldrums. Love Letty
    Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 AM

I get in slumps all the time and just wait them out. I have noticed that when I put too many projects on my plate, or give myself short deadlines that I seem to go into slumps more easily. I think quilting then feels like work instead of play and I don't need another job! :P

I am trying to sew with no timeline or expectations and that helps me.
    Old 09-04-2011, 05:34 AM

Trust me, I know how you feel, I been in one too. Of course, I lost my DH 3 wks ago to cancer, so everybody says it's normal for me to be this way, not wantin to do much of anything! But I do know, I spend entirely too much time on here to get much sewing done!
    Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 AM

I've been there also. It will come back just give it some time.
    Old 09-04-2011, 05:40 AM

You're making yourself fail before you even start. Saying you WILL mess up when you're cutting the material is not an effective way to be productive. Maybe if you take a more laid-back approach, saying to yourself that "if" you mess up, so what ... there's plenty more fabric to do it right and you can use the messed up material for scrap quilts. Go easy on yourself. You are frozen in self-doubt. None of us are perfect!
    Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 AM

How about using some scraps and if you make a mistake it won't cost as much. Look at the pictures and tuts here and one can't help but get inspired.
    Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 AM

I was doing a zig zag quilt for my niece. Had a terrible time lining it up in the zig zag pattern plus I had increased the size so I had to figure that out. Finally I got it all laid out correctly with DH help. That night I had a nightmare that somebody came and threw all of the carefully laid out squares up in the air. The quilt is now finished except to the binding and embellishments. So hang in there.
    Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 AM

sometimes I just spend 15-30 minutes fiddling around in my sewing room. Sometimes I organize, sometimes I read quilt magazines and pull out patters I like, sometimes I just mindlessly sew scraps together. Occasionally, I berate myself..but the slump usually passes. I'm in one at the moment, but I found myself peeking at an old UFO that is calling softly to me! Happy un-slumping!
    Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm there right now, but not too worried about it. My "interests" seem to by cyclical. Right now I'm in the cross-stitch/embroidery mood, so that's what I'll do until this urge passes and the next one strikes. But quilting is always on my mind! :D
    Old 09-04-2011, 07:23 AM

Don't feel guilty. This too shall pass. Go buy some precuts and start there. Maybe check out the thrift shops for blocks that someone started. Orphan blocks need love too.