Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Temporary basting spray adhesive and glue sticks, let's talk! >
  • Temporary basting spray adhesive and glue sticks, let's talk!

• Temporary basting spray adhesive and glue sticks, let's talk!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    Wait a minute here...

You can use basting spray to baste all three layers together and you don't need PINS? They stay attached and you can roll the quilt to quilt it and the layers don't come apart? You can get all three layers nice and tight with a spray?

I need to sit down...
    Yes, yes, yes. I did a dance when I tried it the first time. Life is good isn't it.
    Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM

You can most definitely spray baste all three layers of a quilt of any size without any pins, and it is just wonderful. Very time saving. For those of you who find 505 expensive, my bet is that you are using more than you need. one can will do a queen and several small quilts, or possibly 2 queens. Control "overspray" by spraying from the edges toward the middle and walk very quickly around your quilt.
    My blog has a photo explanation and if you need any help, please post on the blog directly (or here) and I'll do my best to help you out.
    http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...-how-do-i.html

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all....
    Lisa
    www.quiltersparadiseonline.com
    Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 PM

I only use 505 because that's all I can find here. I ONCE used another kind of spray glue, turns out it was not water soluable and it totally ruined my quilt!
    I know you can get bigger cans of 505, but the only ones I can get are the small ones and they're 16 bucks.
    Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM

since she's embroidering, I'm guessing that it's something that she can't hoop, like a towel. I tried to hoop the fusible stabilizer then press the towel to it (like the instruction said) and it did not stay stuck so i haven't been able to do towels. I'd like to know more about how it's done myself.
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    I bought the June Tailor brand at WM and love it...maybe you over sprayed it...I use it to told in/the/hoop embroidery in place and works well. I bought a brand at Perfect Stitches and couldn't use it because it was so extremely wet. Really gummed things up...I used the 505 brand also but really more expensive.
    Lately, it won't even make the fabric sticky. I tried it again yesterday, but it wouldn't stick. I shook the can for the full 2 minutes like it says. So, I went back to the glue stick. It didn't gum up the needle yesterday. So, maybe, I'm thinking it was the masking tape that I used on the back of the design when my stabilizer and design separated. I was almost finished, and the design was about to come off the stabilizer. So, I went through my stash to find some thicker stabilizer, but I still think I need to buy some a little thicker. I don't understand why the June Tailer spray isn't working at all now! ODD!
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
    since she's embroidering, I'm guessing that it's something that she can't hoop, like a towel. I tried to hoop the fusible stabilizer then press the towel to it (like the instruction said) and it did not stay stuck so i haven't been able to do towels. I'd like to know more about how it's done myself.
    I've ordered some of the sticky stablizer for un-hoopables, but what I'm doing that I need the spray basting or glue for is In-The-Hoop ornaments. I bought the designs from Embroidery Library emblibrary.com. First, you embroider the die lines (2), cut them out. These will be the fabric used to embroider that becomes the ornaments. I'm using felt. Then, you hoop a piece of tear away stabilizer and embroider another die line. Then, you spray the basting or glue onto the back of the fabric you cut out and put it inside the die line in the hoop. the next thing the embroidery machine does is tack down the outer edges. Then, it will continue to embroider the designs. AFter all the inside work is done, it's time to glue/baste the back fabric on and put a ribbon in between to hang it by. Then, it sews around the outside again to embroider the two pieces together. The ones I'm working on now also have two buttonholes that sew because they are the little candy cane holders. I will find a link to this, so you can all see what I'm doing. I don't think I'm explaining it very well. It is really a lot of fun, and I hope to have at least 40 done for my kids' classes as gifts. I want to find the candy cane pens or pencils instead bc of the no candy rule.

Here is what I'm doing:

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...log=Elprojects
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Why can't you hoop towels?
    Old 11-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    Why can't you hoop towels?
    I guess you can hoop towels but it would leave a mark and would be very bulky. When I embroidery towels (bath or hand towels), I hoop a piece of tear away stabilizer. Using the 505, spray the top of the stabilizer -- I hold it over my waste basket ------ never use spray basting close to your machine. OK, I place hoop in machine and then towel on top, taking care to make sure I have it where it needs to be. On the very top, use a very light weight water soluble - this keeps the nap from being beat down. When finished, tear off the stabilizer and as much as the water soluble on front as possible. Spritz with water -- you're done! :D Make sense??

Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Oh, so the towels get hoop burn. I've only done some kitchen towels, and they were low nap.
    Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 AM
    Power Poster

I put my stabilizer in my hoop. Then I made a template that is bigger than the hoop and with the center cut out to match the embroidery area. Then when I spray the stabilizer it only goes on the stabilizer and off of the hoop itself.

I have found that some of the paper type stabilizers don't get very sticky from basting spray. I spray...wait a few minutes and then spray a second or third time before it gets sticky enough to hold the fabric down.

Another thing that works is double sided sticky wonder under. Put it on the back side of your applique fabric, cut it out, remove the paper and stick it on the hooped fabric. No ironing is needed :wink: