Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thoughts on what to do with a gifted GFG top >

thoughts on what to do with a gifted GFG top

thoughts on what to do with a gifted GFG top

Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 PM

Default thoughts on what to do with a gifted GFG top

A friend has given me a Grandmother's Flower Garden top, queen size, hand pieced that her former husband brought home from an auction. She was on verge of throwing it in the trash and gave it to me instead to do whatever I want with it. Frankly, it's a, hmm, interesting quilt--thinking probably pieced in 60's-70's. There are some hexies that are wool, some cotton, some from worn flannel (nightgowns??),and who knows what else! It's totally scrappy---no real unifying color, etc. And it was in a box in her basement so it's musty and dirty. So my question is, should I go ahead & long arm (just a feathery overall) or aim for the trash? If I do finish it, it would go to charity. But frankly it's unattractive to start with & not sure quilting will help it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 PM

oh--and I'm not really wanting to handle it being so musty and dirty---but normally I would not try to clean before quilting--any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 PM

I don't know what to suggest that you do with is gifted top but it reminds me of an afghan that a friend crocheted for me once. When she gave it to me it smelled a bit funny so I washed it. Well, it happens that she apparently did not tie off her ends of yarn well & it came apart in tons of places. I took it to a lady in town who had a knitting/crochet shop (she taught lessons) and she agreed to repair it for me (charged me $25 for the repairs). When I got it back she suggested that I not wash it again as it still might come apart. So, what good is it to me if it can't be washed? I think if I had that top of yours I would not put any time in it since you don't like it to begin with. Maybe you could donate it to a quilt guild or organization who quilts for charity.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 PM

It was going to the bin anyway so that is where I would send it again. Don't pass the problem on to a charity - I only give charities work or fabric I would be happy to give anyone else.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

someone at a quilt guild may love to practice quilting it, or takes sections of it to use to make a bear or something. Don't trash it yet, it may have a home.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM

If the quilt top had any sentimental or historical value, I would save it, but since it doesn't, don't feel guilty throwing it away. If you wash it in order to be able to handle it, it will probably shrink unevenly or fall apart and be unusable anyway.. Save yourself the trouble.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 AM

Do what ever your heart directs you to do! I have some tops like that" some really ugly,mixture of fabrics,odd sizes,badly pieced, etc." I've redone two, after the first one, I said never again!!! After the second one, I said, never again!!!!But I can't seem to let go of them. When I get them out to throw them away, I start to think about the quilter who made them and the story behind them. God, help me, I've got two more in various stages of remake!!! Never again!!!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:10 AM

I would wash it and give it to someone who is learning how to use a long arm.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
someone at a quilt guild may love to practice quilting it, or takes sections of it to use to make a bear or something. Don't trash it yet, it may have a home.
I agree with Lynnie. There is always a way of working with something somehow. You could even quilt it, put a temporary binding on it, wash it and then sub-cut it into dog quilts for your local shelter. Quilts are easier for them to wash then the tradition stuff dog beds are.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:22 AM

If it were me - you say it's musty smelling. Put it into a sink/tub of cold water with oxyclean and swish it....amazing how clean it will come out...then decide what to do with it....if not you someone else may have a plan for it....