Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >
  • Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

• Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM

mimisharon- I knew from the first time I saw your fabric that it would make up to be a rather subtle obw. I do like your lavender triangles as well as the borders you put on. Good Job!
    Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks, after I bought the book I saw where it said stripes weren't a good idea but I think mine was subtle enough to make it work. I like it better now that I have the borders on it.
    Old 03-09-2010, 10:49 PM

I fianally got my Encore book today. I was so excited to come home and dig thru my stash for all the colors I wanted. Then I start reading the book and the directions for the cubes I want to make are not in there! :hunf: What the heck? So now I just gotta wing it. If I had known that I would have skipped the book and been done by now. :x Any body know what size to cut for the skinny cube blocks shown on page 31?
    Old 03-10-2010, 01:08 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

I know the ones you mean Jenell - I think there's some maths involved there! I'd GUESS that if you cut the strips for the outer pieces smaller, you'd compensate by making the inner strips the same amount bigger? Does that make sense? Or we can wait til April and hope she covers it in the new book! LOL
    Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 AM

How frustrating! Someone made them recently...trying to remember but it's to early in the day. Sorry
    Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by omak
    Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    This has been so much fun, to follow along with everyone, as well as inspirational for future quilts using this OBW method. It really makes me want to start cutting up and sewing some of the 10 or so fabric prints I've bought and are waiting for me to tackle. I'm in the middle of my fireworks challenge quilt for '10 right now and need to finish that before I start anything else though.
    I HAVE to ask <g> what is the fireworks challenge quilt? (on the board so I can watch y'all produce?) <wave>
    I posted a link you can go to, to view fireworks quilts from '07, '08 and '09 on 'Links and Resources". Hope you enjoy them. :)
    Old 03-10-2010, 06:16 AM

I haven't posted in a few days...been behind, but if I haven't said it yet, WOW to the new quilts that are in here! What beautiful work - love the subtleness of yours Mimisharon, really outstanding with the little triangles.
    Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
    I fianally got my Encore book today. I was so excited to come home and dig thru my stash for all the colors I wanted. Then I start reading the book and the directions for the cubes I want to make are not in there! :hunf: What the heck? So now I just gotta wing it. If I had known that I would have skipped the book and been done by now. :x Any body know what size to cut for the skinny cube blocks shown on page 31?
    okay, I don't have the math .... I had looked at the pages, and I wouldn't bother to make the cube in the manner described, though no doubt, one would end up with fewer "orphan" blocks, though I can't even guarantee that!
    Consider this! each part of the cube is actually a hexagon consisting of three colors ... so! make yourself a set of three strips that will finish up to the size hexagon you are using ... you could even oversize the outside strips to give yourself some wiggle room.
    then, use the same principle for cutting the triangles out of the strip set that you used for cutting the other hexagons ... (the ones you made for the bulk of the project)
    sew the triangles together that will give you the cube you desire ...
    does any of that help? <wave>
    Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

I was pretty much going to do exactly that or pretty close Omak, I don't have the book was just going to go by the pictures here on the board where to put the colors etc. though there is a simple cube as well with out all the fancy, just cut 2 triangles of each of the three colors and sew them together, I know it is confusing the one block has the triangle in the middle and can't be totally striped, strip the two pieces and cut and then add the third strip down the side it is supposed to be on, when I get back today I will see if I can get some make up like I am talking about, my pieced hearts for the IRR took longer than expected, so i hope to have examples to show what I mean,
    Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
    I was pretty much going to do exactly that or pretty close Omak, I don't have the book was just going to go by the pictures here on the board where to put the colors etc. though there is a simple cube as well with out all the fancy, just cut 2 triangles of each of the three colors and sew them together, I know it is confusing the one block has the triangle in the middle and can't be totally striped, strip the two pieces and cut and then add the third strip down the side it is supposed to be on, when I get back today I will see if I can get some make up like I am talking about, my pieced hearts for the IRR took longer than expected, so i hope to have examples to show what I mean,
    I am such a slacker! but, if it is any comfort to you, I have and am accomplishing some cool stuff here at the old bunkhouse <G>
    by the way, little darlin' ... I see where your daughters come by their good looks <wave>