Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What am I missing in this brainstorm????? >
  • What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

• What am I missing in this brainstorm?????

Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

If you do this, it might be a nice idea to take before and after pictures. Show yourself how much work you did.
    Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
    Power Poster

It sounds like the perfect place. Go for it.
    Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM

sounds good to me
    Old 04-30-2010, 05:47 PM

I love what you are doing. too bad we don't generally have basements down here in Arizona. Darn.

Don't make everything too accessible. Make it so that you do have to get up and walk around to do some things. Otherwise you might get stiff and sore. We all need the exercise.

Besides the electrical outlets I would include a place where a quilting buddy or two could join you and have mini-retreats. It would inspire all of you and strengthen friendships.

Way to go!
    Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 PM

One of my quilting buddies came over this afternoon and was in awe with the light and view in the family.

I have a moderate stash so I could get another two sets of 24" deep modular shelving units from Home Depot. My fabric is in plastic containers now and I like the idea of covering the shelves to protect the cloth from light.

Twice monthly friends get together to visit, sew and have a light lunch. I definitely need to consider a table for a friend to use. That's a terrific idea!

Do you have the impression that I am leaning toward the larger area?

Costs would involve an additional hot air vent cut in existing venting, moderately priced vacuum and 100 bucks for shelving. We use the modular shelving in the storage areas/workshop and it works out nicely.

I need to get a good night of sleep and get something done tomorrow. Yes, I will take before and after pictures :-)
    This doesn't have to be done in a snap, but is a good reason to finish off the downsizing project.

Thanks for your support. I wasn't getting much feedback from talking to myself!!! Hehe
    Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 PM

For reasons I won't bore you with, I have to have 2 areas ... one upstairs and one down. Among other things, all my fabric, design wall, large table for cutting, etc., magazines, books, battings, a couple of sewing machines & serger are downstairs. Upstairs is my biggest, newest sewing/embroidery machine, computer, ironing equipt. and most of my thread. I do my fabric choosing/auditioning/cutting downstairs, put the pieces in a box or boxes and bring them upstairs to sew & press. I also use the cutting table downstairs for large construction issues, putting the quilt layers together and dozens of other things. While that might appear to be inconvenient, it works perfect for me. Perhaps you could split your work area into two as well.
    Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
    One of my quilting buddies came over this afternoon and was in awe with the light and view in the family.

I have a moderate stash so I could get another two sets of 24" deep modular shelving units from Home Depot. My fabric is in plastic containers now and I like the idea of covering the shelves to protect the cloth from light.

Twice monthly friends get together to visit, sew and have a light lunch. I definitely need to consider a table for a friend to use. That's a terrific idea!

Do you have the impression that I am leaning toward the larger area?

Costs would involve an additional hot air vent cut in existing venting, moderately priced vacuum and 100 bucks for shelving. We use the modular shelving in the storage areas/workshop and it works out nicely.

I need to get a good night of sleep and get something done tomorrow. Yes, I will take before and after pictures :-)
    This doesn't have to be done in a snap, but is a good reason to finish off the downsizing project.

Thanks for your support. I wasn't getting much feedback from talking to myself!!! Hehe
    IKEA has some nice affordable shelving systems. The wire baskets will not rust and let you see what is in there. You can order online.

Lifetime makes some nice tables. I have 2 - 4 ft x 2 ft tables with legs that fold and are adjustable to 3 different heights. Perfect for cutting or friends over to sew, due to the height adjustible legs. I found some on locally at Sam's Club but you can also find them online at Overstock.com.

Home building stores and such have seconds on wall cabinets or bases that might be slightly scratched or without enough of a matching set to sell for full price.
    Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 AM

I'm envious - sounds like a great space for a sewing room.
    Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 AM

It all sounds great, I agree with the several who have suggested it would be helpful to have your fabric on the same level. It must be wonderful having this space to consider. I always think the dreaming and planning is as enjoyable as the finished project!
    Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 AM

Sounds perfect to me. Enjoy!