Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's your sewing machine's name? >
  • What's your sewing machine's name?

• What's your sewing machine's name?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I don't name machines and have always thought the practice was rather silly (sorry!). I work with lots of people teaching them in fitness classes, and I strain my memory and brain trying to learn and remember each and every one of their first names. I don't see the point in doing this for my machines too and overloading my circuits! I have over a dozen machines. Names like "Juki" and "Singer 301" make more sense to me.
    Whatever works. I don't name my machines either. It sounds kind of fun but I guess it's just not my thing. I thought I'd name my featherweight after her former owner but the name didn't appeal to me. That's as far as it got. I now have four machines with no names. However, ifI ever get my Mom's 301 I'll definitely call her Berta Baby after my Mom.
    Old 02-16-2016, 04:26 AM

Haha, I love you named your dress form too. My husband refers to mine as "the tackle dummy".
    Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 AM

I don't name all of mine either but I have a 1948 Singer that I inherited and we call her "Aunt Norma" because she belonged to Aunt Norma. Mostly just to identify which sewing machine I am talking about at the time since I have 9 I think now.
    Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by grandjan
    This is interesting and I will be following the replies. In over 50 years of sewing and quilting, it has never occurred to me to name my sewing machines. I think it's kind of cool, really, but why do you name them?
    I have two Bernina 830 machines (mid 1970's version). The first was purchased new in Whittier, CA. My DH found the second online in Coure d'Alene, ID as a back-up when I said I didn't want any other type machine when the first wears out. After getting the second machine, I named them "Whit" and "Alene" to keep them straight.
    Old 02-16-2016, 04:30 PM

No name for my machine either except heavenly when it's working and "you dirty dog" when it isn't. Luckily, it (Baby Lock) hasn't given me much complaint.
    Old 02-16-2016, 09:03 PM

I call her Bessie!
    Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I name them. After their make. Come on janome, singer. FW, Bernina, brother etc.
    That's right... they already come with names! :P
    Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM

I decided to make all my machines' names begin with K. And since I started out seeing a boy/girl/boy pattern emerging, I now alternate the names as I acquire a new one , like naming hurricanes!

1. Kenny the Kenmore
    2. Kathryn , the 15-91, for my grandmother who loved to sew
    3. Kevin, the Brother, which powers through everything, like a Christian brother of ours who is all muscle
    4. Kelly, my Janome DC 1050, named for three friends all named Kelly (two of whom sew, and one who lives in Colorado in the Black Forest. Her house was the only one in her neighborhood that didn't burn during the Black Forest fire, the year I got that Janome.
    5. King, my Janome 8200, because it's the biggest and rules my sewing room. I'm the Queen!

Last edited by zozee; 02-16-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    Old 02-16-2016, 11:39 PM

If I reveal the name os my sewing machine, the mods will unleash the dogs of war on me!😄
    Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 AM
    Power Poster

I don't really name my machines, but I find myself when sewing with my brother saying, "good job baby." lol...So I guess it's baby. Baby Brother. ha!

My other machine is a singer that my mother gave me, and I haven't given it a name. I guess I will just call it "mamma." Mamma wasn't a singer though, but she was a passionate quilter.