Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black? >
  • Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

• Who else is attracted to a ridiculous amount of black?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM

Our guild recently made 2 black, red and white quilts and donated them to the animal center for a fundraiser for them. They were made of challenge blocks made by the members with the theme of cats and dogs.
    If you want to see them Google the Port Lavaca humane society...
    Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 AM

I use a lot of black to off-set my brights... am planning a totally black and white and want to get back to making Amish solid colors again soon. MOst of my GK quilts have some black, too
    Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Originally Posted by Caroline S
    I am also a black print fabric lover. My closet and stash full of it. I like all colors that are what I call saturated. It is a reflection of my personality I guess, I am just not a "pastel" person.
    same here...I am NOT a pastel person...I need colors that stand up and say..HEY, I am over here..look at me...hehehe
    I'm not a pastel person either. I love black or colors that go "Look at me! I'm awesome! ;)"....not colors that are like "I'm pretty and girly and just a big ball of sunshine and rainbows!" (*gag*) Whenever I have designed things with pastels its been paired with its bolder, more vibrant equivlant and black. Recently I designed a baby quilt with some pastel pinks in it and still paired it up with a magenta and chocolate color. I think I'm incapable of designing anything completely made out of pastels

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
    I have 2 quilts to begin soon and they require black - which fabric line works the best? I have not worked with
    black before (okay I have only done one quilt so far but have 3 more ready to cut)
    If you're looking for solid black I prefer Kona cotton.
    Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM

I buy black by the bolt. and have used it in lots of my quilts! I am making one right now with black and copper!
    Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    A lot of my quilt ideas incorporate quite a bit of black in them. In the case of my Kittie quilt, its basically all black save for the designs on the shirts (black t-shirts and black crackle fabric for borders and sashing). And the other colors I pair up with it are either white or something very bright and bold like cherry red, hot pink, neon orange, etc. Very rarely do I ever come up with a quilt that doesn't have black in it and tend to stay away from the "pretty" pastels. Its like I'm a Goth quilter designing for a Hot Topic store.

I'd like to see who else on here is attacted to black fabrics and dark quilts. Can't be the only one, right?

Love to use it in quilts. Great for sashing and makes for really great contrast. Sounds good to me.
    :)
    Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
    I buy black by the bolt. and have used it in lots of my quilts! I am making one right now with black and copper!
    Oooooh! That sounds pretty!

First thing that came to mind was this fabric I saw once that was black and had metallic specs on it (had that granite/marble look).
    Old 06-11-2011, 01:56 AM

I don't normally use a lot of black in quilts, unless it's a planned pattern. However, I love a thin black inner border and its become a trademark on all my quilts. That thin black strip just seems to make a perfect frame and the center just seems to pop.
    Old 06-11-2011, 04:35 AM

black is my all-time favorite background. I even use it for some baby quilts and, imho, it works and is beautiful. sure makes the colors pop!
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 AM

I too love black. It makes the quilts sing! I usually buy black in 10 to 15 yard pieces. I even use it in kids jackets and occasionally kids quilts.

Red is my next favorite.