Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your shipping tips? >
  • Your shipping tips?

• Your shipping tips?

Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM

Default Your shipping tips?

What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
    When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:58 PM

I use the priority boxes. The lines at the Phoenix PO are horrible. I pay for the postage online and our mailman picks them up at my door. I have had to just suck it up a couple of times mailing something that was not all that valuable.
    Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM

Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
    Safe too.
    Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM
    Power Poster

Basic shipping costs are based on weight and size of the item.

An ordinary ten pound rock would cost a lot more to ship than a ten carat (uninsured) diamond.
    Old 04-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Ya, I would use priority boxes too, last time I went to the post office they were able to help me so that it would cut the cost down as much as I could to ship my donation items.
    Old 04-19-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin
    Check with Greyhound bus lines. They ship it for you and if it is on their line, it may get there the next day.
    Safe too.
    didn't know they shipped things...only problem is the nearest terminal is about 50 miles from me...
    Old 04-19-2015, 07:32 PM

If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.
    Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    What kind of great ideas do you have that could help reduceshipping costs?
    When it costs more to ship an item than it's worth, there'sgotta be shortcuts!
    I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.
    Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    If the item is large but light in weight, you might want to think about buying a space bag so that you can reduce the size of the folded quilt and therefore the box. Many people don't realize there is a calculation for "dimensional weight" to figure shipping costs - for items that are large but don't weigh much. Also, sometimes, Fed Ex ground rates can be cheaper than the post office.
    wow, everybody says the rates between Fed Ex & post office are about the same..i'll have to remember to check Fed Ex...will have to google space bags, too...
    Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3
    I shipped a queen size quilt, extra fabric & a few other small items in the largest priority flat rate box (12" x 12" x 5-1/2") the post office has. Flat rate is around $17.90 (under 70 pounds). Add extra insurance & it'll cost a little more. Comes with free tracking. I folded my quilt long ways, down to about 12 inches. Then accordian folded it to fit in the space bag & box. Those space bags can really give you added space. Wal-Mart carries a couple brands of space bags. I bought the cheaper ones. I went to USPS website & printed out my label. When you take it to the post office you get a reciept with a tracking number. Give them your e-mail address & you get auto notices for tracking.
    never noticed space bags before, but it sounds like it works, thanks!