Less Shops in the Row by Row?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Less Shops in the Row by Row?

I just downloaded the picture list from the RxR website for my State and was surprised at how few shops seem to be participating. Tomorrow I will be driving north for business and really wanted to stop at some shops along the way, as I have no time frame in my trip. At least three shops on my route that participated last year don't even have their names on the list. What a shame. Anyone else notice this? Do you think I should stop at the stores anyway and ask them?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM

One of my local shops is not participating this year. They found the 'Sew Musical' theme to be too challenging to create an original design. I have to admit that I am not too sure about the theme this year either.

I would stop in the shops, let them know in person that you are disappointed, but perhaps there will be something else in the store that will catch your eye.

I would also write to the Row by Row organizers and let them know you are sad that shops that have participated in the past are not this year.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:23 AM

I just checked my state, and there are a lot less than last year. In fact, only 13 in the entire state. Only half have a block posted, and I don't care for any of them. Mostly applique or embroidery. But I do agree that this theme is a hard one to work with.

I was toying with the idea, but at this point I'd have to drive over 600 miles to collect 8 rows. So probably will not.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 PM

I think it's a tough theme - both for stores and for me. The ones I've seen are applique, which I don't enjoy doing. A nice change for folks who like applique, though?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:47 AM

Shops stopped doing the RBR for many reasons. It takes a lot of time and effort to design and print patterns and make kits. It came during the busiest season for our local shop and they stopped participating the year people from out of state came with lists of how many kits they wanted. They purchased the 25 kits, never left the counter and left! The reason for the RBR was to get people into your shop. The shop didn't even have a finished quilt turned in! They had many calls during the day asking for kits or patterns to be mailed. Many callers got nasty when told we were not mailing. Again, they were not coming into the shop. It just didn't seem worth all the effort that was being put into the program. I am sure other shops have other reasons.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:06 AM

Definitely less shops. I have been waiting for it to begin and want to collect 13 more license plates to complete a quilt for myself. I think the theme is too hard for most. Either you are into music or you are not. Plus the multi sizes this year of the rows or squares. I go to the older shops also, often they have the license plates from the past years.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:27 AM

One of my local shops is participating, the other is not. The one that is not participating told me that the quantity of folks coming through for the kit has steadily decreased. The time and effort to make kits wasn't worth it anymore. I suspect that most quilters are looking for pieced kits, not applique type patterns. I know I am not particularly excited about applique or that fusible laser cut stuff. I want a quilt to wrap myself up in, not hang on the wall. Of course, I have more kits and patterns than I can ever put together in the time I have right now. I do like to buy something from the shops I go into. So Row by Row got new money from this customer.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM

So sorry to hear this down turn … I have loved this "shop hop" … I tend to stop at any store near my travels and keep a row by row list in my purse at all times. I always look around to see what each shop has as each one has different fabric lines and even a different take on the same patterns … quilters are so creative. I can't believe no one made a quilt to claim those fat quarters! Shop owners need to keep in mind to make their kits a reasonable price … I stopped at one store and their kit was $40.00 … it was a great row but after a day of shop hopping and "shopping" I was out of $. I hope we don't lose this adventure.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
Shops stopped doing the RBR for many reasons. It takes a lot of time and effort to design and print patterns and make kits. It came during the busiest season for our local shop and they stopped participating the year people from out of state came with lists of how many kits they wanted. They purchased the 25 kits, never left the counter and left! The reason for the RBR was to get people into your shop. The shop didn't even have a finished quilt turned in! They had many calls during the day asking for kits or patterns to be mailed. Many callers got nasty when told we were not mailing. Again, they were not coming into the shop. It just didn't seem worth all the effort that was being put into the program. I am sure other shops have other reasons.
I am one who loves to spend at least 30 minutes browsing before I even ask about the RxR. If I am asked if I need help, I let them know I am there for the RxR, but want to look around first. I generally buy something in addition to the kit (yes I get the kits). I budget about twice the cost o the kits to spend in each shop. But that is an average, one year I bought an incredibly expensive applique pattern in one shop. The shop owner commented that she had been worried it would not sell as it was so $$$. But I loved it and it will be a quilt for me and a 30th anniversary RV quilt for friends who love camping. I am not in it to make the quilt and win a prize.

I like the option of squares, and vertical or horizontal rectangles. It gives more variety, or for me more options on how to use the kit. The square ones make a great cushion, the vertical ones a nice narrow wall hanging, the horizontal ones are the start of a table runner.

I cannot imagine people buying kits in bulk. I would think it would be within the shops' rights to limit it to 1-2 kits/patterns per customer.

I am sad to hear people got nasty with the staff. Quilting is supposed to be fun and quilters friendly. I did consider asking one shop, that was in a community evacuated during a forest fire, if they could mail a kit. But that was more to support the shop as not only could out of towners not get there, the whole town was evacuated for weeks. In the end I didn't call, as I knew it was against the rules.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 AM

My local quilt shop is participating, they are doing a square mostly pieced w/ a little applique. I have never participated I don't do a lot of traveling (work full time have chickens to take care of) and most all shops have applique rows, and I'm not that much into applique.