Less Shops in the Row by Row?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM

THe customer participation has decreased due to too many of their kits never sewn up. Shops put a ton of effort into R x R and for someone to run in for the free pattern and then run back out is disheartening. As for the bulk kit buyers, that can wipe out a stack of kits when really only ONE shopper picked up the kits vs many shoppers actually setting foot in the shop. This event is to get customers in the door. Kits are not moneymakers. I would allow only one kit purchase per person if I owned a shop. Between shop hops, events, retreats etc. a shop owner must discern where her efforts to make a profit are best spent. R x R is likely not on the top of the list.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:37 AM

The first year the shop did limit kits to one per person, and what grief that caused! The RBR rules do not set the limit on kits and were told if they are buying, then sell them. The first year rules were set and lots of shops did not follow them, making it hard for shops that were following the rules. The second year the shop ran out of kits (400) and OMG you would think the world was coming to an end! Third year 600 kits made and they still have some left. Not big fans of appliqué the shop made pieced rows and very cute ones too. While most quilters are nice, it seemed lots of those running from shop to shop left their manners at home. One evening the shop stayed open late because a customer was tied up in traffic and called ahead. When she arrived 20 minutes later, all the shop owner got for her troubles was grief about why she closed at 5pm and did not stay open later. She only picked up the free pattern! I worked for over 40 years serving the public and am sensitive to how people treat those behind the counter/desk/phone. You might be surprised at the lack of manners from customers shown to those serving them. Even quilters.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 AM

For those RBR folks that also shopped, thank you! That was the intended plan when the RBR was created. Quilt shops are closing at rapid rates for several reasons. If you like your local quilt shop, then frequent them as often as possible. If they don't carry notions, fabrics or classes that you would like, ask them if they would consider them. If shop owners are not aware of what you want they may not bring them into their shop. But also keep in mind that if another shop within driving distance carries a type of fabric, example Asian lines, your shop may not feel a need to duplicate that type of fabrics. One shop can not carry everything.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
The first year the shop did limit kits to one per person, and what grief that caused! The RBR rules do not set the limit on kits and were told if they are buying, then sell them. The first year rules were set and lots of shops did not follow them, making it hard for shops that were following the rules. The second year the shop ran out of kits (400) and OMG you would think the world was coming to an end! Third year 600 kits made and they still have some left. Not big fans of appliqué the shop made pieced rows and very cute ones too. While most quilters are nice, it seemed lots of those running from shop to shop left their manners at home. One evening the shop stayed open late because a customer was tied up in traffic and called ahead. When she arrived 20 minutes later, all the shop owner got for her troubles was grief about why she closed at 5pm and did not stay open later. She only picked up the free pattern! I worked for over 40 years serving the public and am sensitive to how people treat those behind the counter/desk/phone. You might be surprised at the lack of manners from customers shown to those serving them. Even quilters.
Not surprised at all! The Public can be very rude.
sandy
Old 06-22-2018, 06:23 AM

For those RBR folks that also shopped, thank you! That was the intended plan when the RBR was created. Quilt shops are closing at rapid rates for several reasons. If you like your local quilt shop, then frequent them as often as possible. If they don't carry notions, fabrics or classes that you would like, ask them if they would consider them. If shop owners are not aware of what you want they may not bring them into their shop. But also keep in mind that if another shop within driving distance carries a type of fabric, example Asian lines, your shop may not feel a need to duplicate that type of fabrics. One shop can not carry everything.
This Board gets lots of "where can I buy this" posts. Hello..visit a Quilt Shop and ask them...if they do not carry the item, they are happy to special order it for you! My fav shops keep a log for special order requests. Do not get impatient and hit the online....defeats the purpose of working with a B & M quilt shop.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-23-2018 at 06:19 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

I was excited when I heard the theme was going to be music, but found very patterns I liked in my state. This year the creativity in many of my favorite shops was lacking. I think shops are simplifying patterns to reduce labor costs.

The new interactive map makes it easy to view patterns online. I've found really interesting jazz patterns around New Orleans. I plan to peruse the entire US map to see if I can find enough for my own quilt.

With the variety of block sizes some local shops are getting together to plan their blocks. This may be the best way to go. You can see what a finished RXR quilt could become rather than just collecting random rows.

I hope shop owners continue to ship kits after the project ends. I added an Alaskan quilt shop (found via a RXR 2015 Facebook post) to my favorite quilt shops list. I frequently order online from it.

We do need to let the RXR people know our thoughts and suggestions. With our input we can help improve the project.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM

Yes, I have noticed that there are not many shops doing the R x R. Just got an e-mail from my cousin in New Mexico and she mentioned that she had not seen as many quilt shops participating too.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Shame on her! I try to always be polite to employees doing service work. I spent too many years serving the public to not be conscious of the workers. I can't even go into a convenience store and use the bathroom without at least buying a bottle of water or I feel guilty. My golden rule for this is "Don't expect others to do things for you that you would be unhappy doing for others" Be considerate! Service employees have feelings, too, ya know.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
I was excited when I heard the theme was going to be music, but found very patterns I liked in my state. This year the creativity in many of my favorite shops was lacking. I think shops are simplifying patterns to reduce labor costs.

The new interactive map makes it easy to view patterns online. I've found really interesting jazz patterns around New Orleans. I plan to peruse the entire US map to see if I can find enough for my own quilt.

With the variety of block sizes some local shops are getting together to plan their blocks. This may be the best way to go. You can see what a finished RXR quilt could become rather than just collecting random rows.

I hope shop owners continue to ship kits after the project ends. I added an Alaskan quilt shop (found via a RXR 2015 Facebook post) to my favorite quilt shops list. I frequently order online from it.

We do need to let the RXR people know our thoughts and suggestions. With our input we can help improve the project.
-----------------------------------

Here's a cutie: https://www.facebook.com/94960405511...09960339080104
Old 06-22-2018, 05:31 PM

I may be taking a trip down into Nebraska in a few weeks, and that will give me a good excuse to collect rows without making a special trip to do so.