Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Memory of my sister >
  • Memory of my sister

• Memory of my sister

Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 AM

First of all, I send sincere condolences on the loss of your special sister. I am also glad that she did, indeed, get to see your handiwork, which, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. I love earthtones and your choice of colors is just what I like. I just love it, and it is even more special now because of the memory of your sister. I have one (not nearly so fantastic as yours!) that I finished three months before my mother died and only I suspected she was dying. It was really weird, I had a premonition and went out and bought a sewing machine and packages of pre-cut quilt pieces to make a lap quilt. I showed mom all the blocks as i finished them just in case she slipped away before I was done and then finally I was able to show her the completed quilt top, then the finished product. ANyway, she loved it. It wasn't until a month later, that her doctor told my dad and I that she was dying. I was pretty prepared for the news because God had given me the gift of a premonition. Strange! Anyway, I'm sorry you had little time to prepare yourself but I bet you worked on that quilt with as much vengence as I did! Take care/ Lissa :D
    Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lissa
    First of all, I send sincere condolences on the loss of your special sister. I am also glad that she did, indeed, get to see your handiwork, which, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. I love earthtones and your choice of colors is just what I like. I just love it, and it is even more special now because of the memory of your sister. I have one (not nearly so fantastic as yours!) that I finished three months before my mother died and only I suspected she was dying. It was really weird, I had a premonition and went out and bought a sewing machine and packages of pre-cut quilt pieces to make a lap quilt. I showed mom all the blocks as i finished them just in case she slipped away before I was done and then finally I was able to show her the completed quilt top, then the finished product. ANyway, she loved it. It wasn't until a month later, that her doctor told my dad and I that she was dying. I was pretty prepared for the news because God had given me the gift of a premonition. Strange! Anyway, I'm sorry you had little time to prepare yourself but I bet you worked on that quilt with as much vengence as I did! Take care/ Lissa :D
    Lissa thank you so much for sharing your story. That was a wonderful thing you did for your mother, and sharing the blocks as you went was awesome. If my sister had lived close I would have gladly shared the process with her.

I am sorry for your loss as well. Take care and keep on quilting.

Joey
    Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM

May God Bless you, I am so sorry that you lost your sister. I am thankful that you did get it completed for her to enjoy for at least a little while. You did a beautiful job and you should feel very proud of it and keep it as a memory of your sister. God's Blessings to you. Lura
    Old 08-31-2009, 03:29 PM

Hi!

I saw the pictures of the underside of your quilt with the wonderfully embroidered stats of "who to and from who" and I was wondering...what kind of embroidery machine do you use? I have two embroidery machines by Viking. Also, thanks for your reply, and yes I will keep on quilting! and sewing! I have made embroideries of my parents and dog from photographs. The ones of my parents I had framed at Joanne's and the one of my dog I used for a Christmas pillow!:) Hope to hear from you soon!/Lissa from Frederick, MD.
    Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 PM

Hi Lissa,

I have a Babylock Elegante2. Then I used my largest hoop, which is like an 11x7. I just sewed the four center blocks together to get the beige center and then embroidered it. After that was all done then I pieced the rest of the back together. My friend Dwynn came up with the idea. I thought it was an awesome idea.

Joey
    Originally Posted by Lissa
    Hi!

I saw the pictures of the underside of your quilt with the wonderfully embroidered stats of "who to and from who" and I was wondering...what kind of embroidery machine do you use? I have two embroidery machines by Viking. Also, thanks for your reply, and yes I will keep on quilting! and sewing! I have made embroideries of my parents and dog from photographs. The ones of my parents I had framed at Joanne's and the one of my dog I used for a Christmas pillow!:) Hope to hear from you soon!/Lissa from Frederick, MD.
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
    Power Poster

hear of you loss

nice quilt
    Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
    Power Poster

It is beautiful. I am glad your sister had it's beauty come into her life to enjoy
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Beautiful quilt... I can imagine how bittersweet the memory of giving her the quilt is, but your sister must have loved it very much for the short time she had to use it. I have no doubt that she drew great comfort from it and from the love you put into it.
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister...mine is the only family member I am close to. You made a beautiful quilt and I am sure it kept her warm in her final days.
    Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
    Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful, as is the tribute to your precious sister. My mom passed on in March of this year so I understand from that perspective. I keep a little picture of my mom sitting next to me as I type with her quilting a quilt by hand, and she is smiling. I miss her so much.