Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • OBW, latest and last of the 4 I wanted to do. >
  • OBW, latest and last of the 4 I wanted to do.

• OBW, latest and last of the 4 I wanted to do.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
    Power Poster

Yep...speed and beauty...Stunning quilt and the two fur-people are pretty cute too.
    Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Wonderful quilt CB. I mailed you a package today. HEHEHE
    Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM
    Power Poster

Wow! When you first posted the picture of the chili peppers fabric, I almost answered that I thought the print was too small and there weren't enough different colors in it. How could I be so wrong? That quilt is GORGEOUS!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
    Power Poster

I really wanted to cut the chili peppers smaller but time wouldn't let me. using a print like that is great if you can cut what ever size that you want. I am going to be looking hard at LARGER prints for that if I ever do it again, I have two more prints here and yet again they are kind of smallish.

One day I will start a thread maybe to talk about the obw, they are pretty popular with some people and others are scared of it. just not today.

Kwhite, now why would you go and mail me something, it better not squirm when it gets here. :shock: I think I am kind of scared of what you would send me,

For those that think that I am fast, after 15 years of sewing, the speed comes and a lot of it makes sense to me, who knows why, it just does, I won't argue with it, it works for me, I also don't work and on these I had help, I had some happy volunteers pressing to start with and then my mom did some of the sewing for me as well. she is the one that taught me to sew, and I got her into quilting more than she ever thought that she would go. She had alot of fun playing with blocks and such, it is a lot of fun when you can play with someone or a group of someones.
    Old 09-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Can you give me the sizes you cut to make the different size blocks? Is there a math formula for this? Not that I would be able to do it! lol

Oh I bet it is fun with a group! I call hubby in to see how I have mine laid out and he says it looks fine. So I spend an hour on the floor re-arranging the blocks and call him again. And he says it looks fine. :(
    Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
    Power Poster

It is not so much the size of the block that you are looking at when deciding what size to cut, you can do them any size that you want, I judge it by the print and what I want to show when the block is together, the smaller the print or pattern, the smaller the block, I have done ones as small as 1 3/4, to I think 4, though I have seen some that are cut bigger, this one was cut at 3 but you take some of it off for seams, I use my super 60 ruler to help decide on that, I put it on the fabric and sort of move it around to see what will show, it shows the 1/4 in seam allowance so I can pretty much picture what will be showing. since there will be pieces from all over, you can just slide it around. With the landscape, I wanted to keep certain colors with certain colors so that is why it was cut so small, if the print had been bigger I could have cut bigger pieces.

I just measured and one that I cut at 1 3/4 inches was sewn to make a 2" block, so it is tiny, I think I will have to take a look to see if you just have to take 1 1/2 inches off of the combined measurement.

Any one that wants I can help spit ball what to do if I see the print,

we found that If I laid it out and then took a picture and then you can stand back and see what is up easier than looking at it in person. it gave a better view, I printed it off and we looked at it and moved things around then took another picture to see what else needed to be done.
    Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 AM

Love the quilt - and the dogs.
    Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks, It was fun to do, my mom helped a lot, and the little white westie named Maggie is hers.
    Old 09-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Very nice!!
    Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Cute, your quilt is gorgeous. I had a Blonde Cocker Spaniel like the one on your quilt (don't know what the little white doggie is, but like them both). I want another one, but not in a good area for dogs right now. Wish on. You are a busy Bee.