Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Ok..I've screwed up big time and need help PLEASE!!! >

Ok..I've screwed up big time and need help PLEASE!!!

Ok..I've screwed up big time and need help PLEASE!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

If there was a "slit your own throat smiley", I'd be using it now. I've tried to take pics of my problem, but please see if you can come up with any other solution other than what I think (removing an awful lot of quilting :cry: )

I had planned to quilt in the ditch around all the compasses, then the blue compasses are done in trapunto. The swirly motif is also done in trapunto and I stitched around it also. Now, the next step was to stipple around all of the compasses (both blue & the pieced) and around the swirly motif.

Problem- backing seems too full to me and I am afraid that I'll get puckering and folds in the backing fabric. I know its hard to tell how full it is...my crazy cat was helping me (giving me moral support).

If I try it out to see what happens,should I just start in the middle, then undo any quilting that doesn't allow the backing fabric to lay flat and repin that part or would starting in the middle and going out like that distort the quilt?

Ohhhhhh :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I just know you experts can help me....please????

The swirly motif
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5177[/ATTACH]

The trapunto on the blue blocks along with the trapunto on the swirly motif
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5346[/ATTACH]

A little full to do the stippling?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67646[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5177.jpe   attachment-5346.jpe   attachment-67641.jpe  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Here are the other pics of the back.

Too full?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5507[/ATTACH]

Looks like even the cat knows I screwed up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5619[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5507.jpe   attachment-5619.jpe  
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Well, now this is just my humble opinion, but here goes... why do you feel it needs more quilting...I think it looks like it has plenty just the way it is and it looks great!!!

Otherwise, I think if you feel the need to do it....if you hold things flat enuf as it goes into the machine it shouldn't pucker too much...your apt to have some.... are you doing this with your regular machine or do you have a longarm?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Country Quilter
Well, now this is just my humble opinion, but here goes... why do you feel it needs more quilting...I think it looks like it has plenty just the way it is and it looks great!!!
This is exactly what I was thinking and I scrolled down and found CQ had already said it. Our family saying is, "Quit while your ahead!"

Your quilting is beautiful.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 PM

I am not a machine quilter, but it sure looks good to me!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I really can't say why I think it needs more quilting..hubby agrees with ya'll...(why add more? :shock: ) It just seems like the trapunto would really pop out if I have some quilting done that makes it stand out more.

I'm using "Sally" to quilt with...my early 1970's version Singer. Its the only thing I have..luckily we get along pretty good.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 PM

I think it looks great the way it is and wouldn't add more quilting. :)
Old 02-04-2008, 01:51 PM

well we are certainly an agreeable bunch on this one, it looks just right, if you put in that much stipple I think it would be stiffle! LOL It would really flatten it out though and make you trapunto stand out more.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM

im a longer armer and i have found over the years that less can be more,some think that more is more i think it looks if you can quilt that well on a regular machine i would be running arm. my advice is put a way for a few days,take it out and look at agine i think you may like it better. good luck
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 PM

I have to agree with the majority here... it is a GORGEOUS quilt, and I would not add any more quilting!!