Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >
  • 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

• 2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-13-2016, 04:21 PM

Does it count if I just joined but I just finished a UFO that had really been bugging me. It had 2 spots where the white fabric was weak, & I didn't know what to do. I also had put binding on it (store bought) and at the end of the pkg it was a mess, crooked, wrinkled, wadded, etc but I tried it. Looked awful so I threw it in that dark hole where UFO's go at my house. But a friend like it & challenged me to finish it before Valentine's Day. So I made my own binding, fixed a couple of places I didn't like & added 2 hearts to cover the weak spots. Man, finishing a quilt is a wonderful feeling! [ATTACH=CONFIG]542608[/ATTACH]
    Not quite ready to confess # of my UFO's total.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Congrats on your new "toy", Julie!! We will all be watching to see you zoom through all those tops now!!
    Rob, as usual, your art is just amazing! That latest one makes me think of a summer storm - lightning and heat.

Well, I got another 1 1/2 embroidered animals stitched out and another 2 rows of panto done on Glory. We didn't get home as early as I had hoped from our errands today, but at least I got a little bit done on two UFO's at once. One of my other threads has a "JOT" (Just One Thing) going - everyone is expected to do 10-15 minutes a day on JOT. I'm more of a lurker on that thread, but it IS rather motivating when all those JOT's add up and you have a finished project - whether that's a quilt, or organizing the sewing room, or whatever. It's pretty cool.

I stopped at Mary Jo's on the way home today, looking for inspiration for baby-girl-on-the-way. I bought some pink flannel that has a mama bunny with her baby, that says "Guess how much I love you?", then it says "I love you to the moon and back" and "I love you as high as I can reach". And I got some coordinating tone-on-tone pink to go with it. I'm going to do some kind of wholecloth design on it, but I'm not sure what yet. That way the "how much I love you" will be the focus on one side, and the stitching the focus on the other side.

Now, I'm off to sit in front of the fire with a new JD Robb book.
    Old 02-13-2016, 04:35 PM

Congrats on the finish, GramE!!! Yes, it DOES feel wonderful to get one finished that has been haunting you for awhile!!
    Janice, make sure you toot the horn for GramE!!
    Oh, and don't worry about confessing how many you have (it probably is nowhere near as many as I have), we're only counting finishes here!!
    Very cute quilt, and so appropriate for Valentine's Day!!
    Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 PM

Thank you for your kind words, Leta.

I like to sew for lots of reasons, beginning projects & finishing them. It's the middle process that it difficult. I get distracted so easily!
    Old 02-13-2016, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

Really like that red and white quilt...so glad you can cross it off your list..

Another creative quilt rryder....
    Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM

GramE, OF COURSE IT COUNTS! Congratulations on a wonderful UFO finish.Toot, Toot!!. I'm very partial to red and white quilts so this one speaks to me.

Welcome to the fast rolling UFO challenge train. Glad to have another passenger.

Originally Posted by GramE
    Does it count if I just joined but I just finished a UFO that had really been bugging me. It had 2 spots where the white fabric was weak, & I didn't know what to do. I also had put binding on it (store bought) and at the end of the pkg it was a mess, crooked, wrinkled, wadded, etc but I tried it. Looked awful so I threw it in that dark hole where UFO's go at my house. But a friend like it & challenged me to finish it before Valentine's Day. So I made my own binding, fixed a couple of places I didn't like & added 2 hearts to cover the weak spots. Man, finishing a quilt is a wonderful feeling! [ATTACH=CONFIG]542608[/ATTACH]
    Not quite ready to confess # of my UFO's total.
    Old 02-13-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman
    One of my other threads has a "JOT" (Just One Thing) going - everyone is expected to do 10-15 minutes a day on JOT. I'm more of a lurker on that thread, but it IS rather motivating when all those JOT's add up and you have a finished project - whether that's a quilt, or organizing the sewing room, or whatever. It's pretty cool.
    Hi. Please share the link to JOT. Thank you
    Old 02-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Lovely finish, GramE! I had to chuckle at, 'the dark hole where UFOs go'.
    Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 PM

I boo booed already though because I tried to post on here earlier but I wasn't on here. Not sure where I was. But when I deleted it didn't go away, so floating out there in quilter stratosphere is my deleted post. And it was a different UFO but it came out great big so I thought I would delete & try again which is when I realized that maybe I wasn't in the right thread. (Do you call them threads on quilting site?)

Thank you for the toots. I could show you the back. I like it better. [ATTACH=CONFIG]542639[/ATTACH]

Happy Valentine's Day too all!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 02-13-2016, 07:14 PM

Lisa, that closet scares me sometimes, but in an effort to organize my sewing space I recently dared open both doors & tried to sort, resort (last resort, I think), unsort etc. I did get a big container of UFO's. But I also got a lot of new ideas for things that will probably wind up in that UFO container!