Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 PM

Doggone it, Rob, you're making me feel like a slacker!! As always, your creativity just amazes me!!

Got most of one more animal stitched out while I was doing panto on Glory... ran out of bobbin thread, loaded a new one, then about halfway down a row, realized "Beth" wasn't sounding quite right. Looked the top over - looks good. Peeked underneath and DOH!!! Eyelashes everywhere... beginning where I loaded the new bobbin.

So now, after UN-stitching, I'm going to call it a night. Guess I'll get it going again tomorrow after work.
I did tell y'all how much I'm not liking this quilt, right?!?

Good night, everyone!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Rob, this is the 90th UFO finish. Toot, Toot on another one!
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Here's another finish for Feb. I have two more of these to go and then it's on to more traditional ufos.

Rob
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Rob are those large quilts or wall hanging size? Love the expressive look to them.
Got 2 tablerunners and a table mat done today, quilted and binding done before my hand gave out. Sure hope this hand surgery heals quick. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a king size on the quilting table....we'll see....
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 PM

My first finished UFO.....a Christmas table topper started in 2014, planning to give it to my secret Santa for this Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=rryder;7465526]Here's another finish for Feb. I have two more of these to go and then it's on to more traditional ufos.

Rob I really love your artistic quilts, you should send them to an art gallery and have your own show!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 PM

Very nice! Toot, Toot on your first finish! Congratulations!
Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
My first finished UFO.....a Christmas table topper started in 2014, planning to give it to my secret Santa for this Christmas!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
Doggone it, Rob, you're making me feel like a slacker!! As always, your creativity just amazes me!!

......neath and DOH!!! Eyelashes everywhere... beginning where I loaded the new bobbin.

So now, after UN-stitching, I'm going to call it a night. Guess I'll get it going again tomorrow after work.
I did tell y'all how much I'm not liking this quilt, right?!?

Good night, everyone!

thanks Leta. I feel your pain re-unquilting. I once completely unquilted an 80"x 80" square quilt because I after I finished quilting it I decided the design should have been done with rulers...

Hopefully today will be a better day in your quilting studio.

Rob
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks Janice and Jaba. They're wall hanging size, the ones posted so far have been fat quarter size. They were all pieces that I started 2 to 4 years ago and then lost interest before finishing. They were in the flimsy state when I pulled them out of the stack, so only needed sandwiching, quilting and in some cases some additional couching or decorative stuff to make them feel complete. Once they're done with all that stuff I bind them and then build a frame of 1" x 1/2" wood that I glue black foam core to and then glue the pieces to that so they appear to be floating off the wall when they're hung up.

I don't consider them complete until I've actually mounted them and wired them for hanging--otherwise they'd go back into a UFO pile and be there for another couple of years!

Rob
Old 02-15-2016, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=SuziSew;7465824]
Originally Posted by rryder View Post

Rob I really love your artistic quilts, you should send them to an art gallery and have your own show!

Thanks Suzie, as a matter of fact, these are supposed to go into a gallery here in Richmond for a one month solo show. Unfortunately it's supposed to open at the end of March and the space is pretty big. I only had 9 of these that were UFOs and I figured I'd need at least another 8 to properly work in the space... they've said I could add in other types of work, such as drawings, or my encaustic paintings if I have some that will play nicely with these since there is no way I can make another 8 from start to finish in one month... but I'm on a roll with the UFOs and I was really looking forward to finishing up some of my more traditional UFOs... maybe my mid-century modern crumb quilt would work with these....that's the one I really want to get to next, the crumb blocks have been sitting around for 2 years and I finally put it together into a quilt top in January. I'd planned on having that be my first finish for the year, but then the gallery asked for these pieces, so it went on the back burner again...

Rob
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
I am soooo ready to start something new but alas, I keep finding UFOs! Ugh!!
I hear you Fraew, I too am so ready to start something new. I have this one WH pattern that has been staring me in the face for awhile now so I think I will take a break from the UFO's and work on the WH. This is the piece that I want to make up for the next WH swap that will be coming up so it will be a nice break, with a purpose.

What is it about us quilters that we always want to start something new before finishing the projects we have already started?

Speaking of UFO's, I am getting closer to having finishes for February. The borders are now on the king size quilt I have been working on. I just have to get out and pick up the backing fabric and batting and it will then go on the frame. My goal is to pick up the fabric and batting some night this week and get it on the frame so I can start quilting it on Sunday. My queen quilt and two table runners are now surged and ready for binding, which I will do Wednesday night when I get together with my sewing buddy. Then they will be ready for me to hand stitch down the binding as I relax with hubby upstairs.