Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Toot, toot MadQuilter. Lovely finish. Your husband is a lucky fellow.
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Finally - my first finish for the year. It is a runner for DH's desk at his work. He loves it. It's all made from scraps and stash. There is a companion piece to be finished next (yes - he has a large corner desk). The quilting doesn't show well but I advanced past simple SID and added some FMQ.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Nice finishes!

Jaba, do you have pictures of your finishes?

Connie
Old 02-15-2016, 06:58 PM

I'd like to join this group. I have a stack of UFO's that need finishing.. oldest being a triple Irish chain which I started hand piecing in mid 1970's. I'm hoping I can absorb some of your enthusiasm and get my quilting mojo back. I haven't done much quilting since May of 2014.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:21 PM

Hop aboard and welcome. We always have room for more. A 40 year old UFO? Wouldn't it be a fantastic acheivement to finish it! How far along are you in the piecing? Do you plan to hand quilt it? Would really enjoy seeing a picture.

Originally Posted by panszko1 View Post
I'd like to join this group. I have a stack of UFO's that need finishing.. oldest being a triple Irish chain which I started hand piecing in mid 1970's. I'm hoping I can absorb some of your enthusiasm and get my quilting mojo back. I haven't done much quilting since May of 2014.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Beautiful runner, MadQuilter!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
My first finished UFO.....a Christmas table topper started in 2014, planning to give it to my secret Santa for this Christmas!
I love the colors you chose for the twisters!

Rob
Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 AM

Welcome to the group Panszko1. One think I can say is that this group does motivate you, at least it has me. Looking forward to you seeing all your finished UFO's.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Congratulations on another finish. Did you use the special stitches that so many of our machines have. I am working up the courage to begin one of these projects.
Anoka, yes, I do use the special stitches that my PC420 has. They are wonderful. If you can find the time go ahead and make a "stitch bible". I did that when I first got myPC420 and am very glad I did. I have also made some of these pieces using my old Brother VX560 which only has 7 stitches--I just varied the length and width on them and also used the button hole stitch. So it's possible to make these pieces on an older zigzag machine that doesn't have all the decorative stitches that today's machines have.

I also do a lot of FMQ on them in order to get texture and to make some areas recede and other areas pop forward.

Don't stress about doing these projects, they are very forgiving. Think of it as play, you're playing with materials and techniques to see what will happen--since it's play you can't mess up. Send me a PM when you decide to get started if you have any questions about how to do something.

Rob
Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sweetwaterquilter View Post
I hit the wrong button. I was asking about your modern crumb quilt. I am not familiar with this, would love to s

Sweet water quilter. A crumb quilt is made using tiny leftover pieces of fabric (fabric crumbs) that are stitched together however you can get them to go. The reason I'm calling the one I want to get to next a modern quilt is that I've taken all the crumbs that I've stitches and cut them into blocks which are then distributed around a background that consists of off-white and white on white fill strips. I've just gotten it sandwiched and ditched. If I can get the time to FMQ it I'll post it here since it is a UFO. The individual crumb pieces have been sitting around my studio for a couple of years waiting for me to decide how I wanted to arrange them.

Rob
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Mad quilter! I love the runner. Your borders really make the center area pop and your feathers set off the design nicely.

Rob