Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Wheat Free Pumpkin Pie >

Wheat Free Pumpkin Pie

Wheat Free Pumpkin Pie

Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Default Wheat Free Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie isnt a big thing for Christmas in Australia, but i would like to make one this year, problem being i have just found out i have an intolerance to wheat. Would anyone have a nice pumpkin pie recipe that is either wheat free or gluten free?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM

I make my gluten free pie crusts from Bobs Red mill gluten free flour. Mix 1 1/3 cups flour with 1/3 tsp salt. I stir with a fork. In a measuring cup mix 1/3 cup oil and 3 tbsp ice water, stir together really good. With fork quickly stir into flour mixture just until combined. Roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Peel off the top layer of paper and put into pie pan. Bake as usual.
I have used several different brands of gluten free flour mixes. WHen coking gluten free you need to use a mixture of several different kinds of flour as none of them have all of the properties of wheat flour. Several of the mixtures available in the store will work but the Bobs red mill brand is my favorite. Gluten free flour will never perform quite the same as wheat flour but you can get close. Gluten free flour will produce a more crumbly product. The pie crust will probably crack as you put it in the pan but just put it back together with your fingers. There are many hints on the internet for how to cook gluten free. My sister in law and nephew have celiac so I try to cook gluten free when they will be there.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 AM

I make the pumpkin pie filling with condensed milk. Recipe on the back of the can. Pour it in a pie pan sprayed with no- stick spray and bake until set. Serves up fine without the crust! We don't even miss it.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 AM

Red face Pumpkin Cheesecake

I have made the attached recipe for the last several years. Instead of graham crumbs for the base I crush gluten free ginger snaps.

http://www.kitchenparade.com/2008/11...ecake-bars.php
Old 11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Stores around here are getting more gluten free products. Our 5 yo Great Granddaughter has Stage 1 diabetes w/Celiac disease. Her young Mother moved back to Alaska so her Mom could take care of the GGD.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by fayeberry View Post
I make the pumpkin pie filling with condensed milk. Recipe on the back of the can. Pour it in a pie pan sprayed with no- stick spray and bake until set. Serves up fine without the crust! We don't even miss it.
thats what i do too and serve it with whipped creame. our sons wife also has to be gluten free.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM

I have Celiac too and have missed pie since going on a gluten free diet. And as bad as I am at making regular pie crust, I'm going to attempt the GF pie crust recipe above.

As for the poster who suggested graham crackers or gingersnaps, that wouldn't work for someone who has to eat a GF diet because they both have wheat flour in them. It's why I had to stop making my key lime yogurt and Cool Whip pie with graham cracker crust. Mmm, yum, I can still taste it.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM

Joyce, Gluten Free gingersnaps and graham crackers are available. The gingersnaps are very good and the graham crackers are okay. I just use a baked pat in the pan butter crust with rice flour for my pies like that. I have some GF oatmeal flour if I want a nuttier taste.