Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • My Carpenter's Star Pattern >
  • My Carpenter's Star Pattern

• My Carpenter's Star Pattern

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by danmar
    Hi everybody! I got several requests for the pattern for my Carpenter's Star so I am here to post it for everyone to enjoy!
    It's really quite a simple block to make, especially after you make the first one. Don't get me wrong though, I said simple, Not "Fast"! LOL I have made about 125 of these blocks so far. It took me all day when I first started. Now it takes me between 3 1/2 and 4 hours to make One. The pattern is made completely out of squares and half squares. If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask! I'd be more than happy to help anybody. I hope this Homemade Pattern is written so that people can understand it. If not, let me know and I will make it clearer.
    NOTE: On the half square units, don't cut the squares into half squares until AFTER they are sewn. Mark your center line diagonally, sew together and then cut unit in two, to make 2 half square units. I hope that is what they are called anyways!
    Here's the pattern and Please post pictures of your first blocks and projects you make so I can see. I love pictures!
    LOve it I have made about 12 of the original carpentar star easy and looks fabulous !!
    Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by janice4
    Originally Posted by danmar
    Hi everybody! I got several requests for the pattern for my Carpenter's Star so I am here to post it for everyone to enjoy!
    It's really quite a simple block to make, especially after you make the first one. Don't get me wrong though, I said simple, Not "Fast"! LOL I have made about 125 of these blocks so far. It took me all day when I first started. Now it takes me between 3 1/2 and 4 hours to make One. The pattern is made completely out of squares and half squares. If you have any questions, Please don't hesitate to ask! I'd be more than happy to help anybody. I hope this Homemade Pattern is written so that people can understand it. If not, let me know and I will make it clearer.
    NOTE: On the half square units, don't cut the squares into half squares until AFTER they are sewn. Mark your center line diagonally, sew together and then cut unit in two, to make 2 half square units. I hope that is what they are called anyways!
    Here's the pattern and Please post pictures of your first blocks and projects you make so I can see. I love pictures!
    LOve it I have made about 12 of the original carpentar star easy and looks fabulous !!
    Have you posted the pictures yet? If so, I missed them! I love this block and would love to see the ones that you have made. Please tell me where to find them or post pictures. Pllleeeeease!
    Marilyn
    Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Not sure if this is the same pattern or not. I don't think the picture came out to good, sorry.

Thank you for the tut. I hope to try your pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-84455.jpe  
    Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM

like it ;):)
    Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Many thanks for the super pattern
    Old 06-22-2010, 12:04 PM

I have decided it's time I did something with the Carpenter Star I made using Marilyn's tutorial, but am undecided how to quilt it. Marilyn, what did you do with yours? I'm not particularly good at fmq, but was thinking about sitd around the colored blocks and stippling in the white to make the colored ones stand out. What have any of you done about quilting on this pattern?
    Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG
    I have decided it's time I did something with the Carpenter Star I made using Marilyn's tutorial, but am undecided how to quilt it. Marilyn, what did you do with yours? I'm not particularly good at fmq, but was thinking about sitd around the colored blocks and stippling in the white to make the colored ones stand out. What have any of you done about quilting on this pattern?
    Hi Judy!

On Shawna's and Dawn's quilts that I made, I just hand-tied them. On the pillows that I made though, I did the sitd to make the different parts stand out more. It looked awesome! I drew you a diagram of where I did the sitd. Hope this helps! Let us know what you end up doing.
    Happy Quilting!
    Marilyn

A diagram of where I did my SITD. 6-23-10
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]88287[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-88282.jpe  
    Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the tutorial!! I'll have to try one of those pretty blocks!! :D
    Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Well I finally done one...been aiming to do this for a while...don't know if I chose the right fabrics or not...my center star section is 32x32 then I added a couple borders..now it's 46x46, I still want it bigger. This will be my mothers birthday present in August. Thanks "danmar" for teaching us how to do this. It was quick and fun.

My Carpenters Star
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]80583[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-80578.jpe  
    Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

This is very pretty :thumbup: