Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Quilt As You Go that Deb uses >
  • Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

• Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM

This is how I make my Tshirt quilts. Although I don't do any quilting on the individual blocks- just use this method to pull the backing up to become the sashing on the front, and then also have enough quilting to keep all layers together.
    Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this! You really did a nice job explaining the Cotton Theory method. Congratulations!
    Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 AM

It is not Cotton Theory that I have looked at, in the sense that I don't quilt each strip as I go, it is one entire block, THEN it is quilted.
    Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM

Thanks for sharing. I need to try this method.
    Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 AM

Very nice tutorial! What a very vivid explination! Just what I needed! Thank you!
    I am wondering what to do and how to do the blocks at the corners. What I am saying is if and when the individual block is done, and you add it to the next block, then now you got two blocks sewn together side by side. Now I want to add a second row,I understand it is done the same way, but, is their any bulk at the corners where the 4 blocks will be butted together? Is it possible for you to post a picture of the center of 4 blocks when they are joined? Thank you!
    Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
    Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    Ah-ha! Now that I am looking at the photos on a larger screen, I can see that I misunderstood- you don't overlap the backing with the adjacent block but you use it to bind its own block.

But I still dont understand how you attach the blocks to each other and make the quilt fall nicely when used?
    Perhaps this video link will make it clear.
    https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
    Thank you for this link, It looks like it is a lot of fun and I am thinking of purchasing the Batting buddy.
    :wink:
    Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 PM

One more question. I thought I understood this totally until the most recent pics. Once you have folded down the flaps and you top stitch, is the edge of the flap that is on the block left loose? By that I mean could you run your finger under it? I am thinking about a germent hem, you fold once, then twice, then stitch close to the folded edge, onto the garment. But, looking at your pics you are stitching the folded edge where the blocks are joined?! Am I correct or totally confused? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand because I have two sets of blocks just calling to be completed this way :).
    Thanks,
    Jenna P in GA
    Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM

No, the flap on the right side folds (double) to the right block. The flap on the left side folds (double) to the left block. Each block has a top, a batting and a backing. The flaps are the sides of the backing that you sew together. If you go back and enlarge the pics of the folds, you should see what I mean. I wish I could figure out how to do a video of this!
    Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 AM

I GOT IT!!! I understood it all along, what messed me up was when I looked at the last pics posted I was getting the sashing strips and block fabric mixed up. That pic shows you stitching the fold to the block just like I thought. The joining seam is to the left of the fabric you are stitiching on. GREAT, now to cut backing blocks and get busy, lol. Thank you so much!!!
    Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 AM

Deb,
    I'm still unclear on one thing. I have some quilt blocks that I want to try this with. They are 12 1/2" square. But they have points at the 1/4" edges. It seems to me that I can do exactly your technique except I cut the backing fabric only 1/2" bigger all around instead of 1" all around, and that will give me 1/4" sashing on each flap which will allow the points to match the edges. Am I looking at this right, or am I missing something?
    Thanks!