Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Which is the better buttonhole maker? No pic, just text. >
  • Which is the better buttonhole maker? No pic, just text.

• Which is the better buttonhole maker? No pic, just text.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Default Which is the better buttonhole maker? No pic, just text.

I have two SINGER buttonhole attachments. The one that takes the templates and the one that doesn't. You know the other version: set width and bight etc.

Which attachment is the better one, that is to say which one performs better than the other?

I have the templates, and some extra including the key holes in 3 or 4 sizes.

Last edited by Beautiful_Sound; 07-30-2015 at 06:06 PM.
    Old 07-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Good question. I know I've read that some people prefer the one without cams. It is capable of a wider range of settings which can be useful if you're working with odd shaped or sized buttons. I think the only one I've actually used is a Greist(sp?) branded one that uses the cams. It produced nice looking buttonholes. You want to go twice around for a nice full stitch pattern. They're fun to watch anyway.
    Rodney
    Old 07-31-2015, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Beautiful_Sound
    Which attachment is the better one, that is to say which one performs better than the other?
    I don't think there's much difference in neatness, but I only use the template version because it gives the exact size i want every time and always the same. I bought the optional templates for mine. Would love the 1970s one with 20 templates but have only seen it for slant needle machines.
    Old 07-31-2015, 05:26 AM

I have found the one's with the templates to be easier to use. Just pick your button hole, drop in the template, and sew the button hole. The other button holler requires you to set all the adjustments.
    So far I've done more with the later model version that uses the cams than the other one.

As far as the neatness of the button hole made, I don't think there's any real difference once you get the old one adjusted.
    Oh there's one benefit to the old style one too; if you have an odd size button you can set the adjustments to fit it perfectly. Sometimes the newer templates don't match up the button exactly.

Joe
    Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

I prefer some button holers over others even if they are identical. Go figure. The old naked ones are fun to fiddle with.
    Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 AM
    Banned

Define "Better".... The ones with the cams are much simpler to use and have very consistent results. The professional adjustable ones (Famous etc) are higher quality and more variable but harder to get "just right". I purchased a industrial machine and it came with three of the famous ones, all set differently, all worked great. For the pro's it was easier to have a machine set up for each separate task, or at least a buttonholer set for each size they used.
    Old 07-31-2015, 07:18 AM

The one with cams. I always pick a button size that fits a cam that I have in my box.
    Old 07-31-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
    I don't think there's much difference in neatness, but I only use the template version because it gives the exact size i want every time and always the same. I bought the optional templates for mine. Would love the 1970s one with 20 templates but have only seen it for slant needle machines.
    I just went and checked. I have a Singer Professional buttonholer for vertical needle (low shank) zigzag sewing machines. I also have both an early and late model Professional buttonholer for slant needle zigzag machines. I like the rounded housing on the early model better. Looks like they are for zigzag only, not straight stitch machines. I don't know if they were available for other machines. I'm guessing not. I see them occasionally in the thrift stores around here.
    I'll keep my eyes open. If I see another low shank one I'll grab it for you.
    Rodney
    Old 07-31-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    I see them occasionally in the thrift stores around here.
    I'll keep my eyes open. If I see another low shank one I'll grab it for you.
    Thanks Rodney! The postage might be a problem so it would have to be cheap