Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >
  • Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

• Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM

I have 4 (whoops, how did that happen?!) and a cardtable. Three are black - one of them has the scroll faceplate. The fourth is white and is missing the red S badge so I've improvised to fill the blank space. Hope the picture isn't too huge or blurry.

Nancy
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-200742.jpe  
    Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM

amBoo, love your creative badge!
    Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    I went into the local Singer sales/repair shop several weeks ago and in the course of my conversation with the owner, spoke with him about Featherweights.

"They are work horses and practically indestructible and my wife nagged me until I found one for her," he said. "But I think buying one and carrying it to workshops and so on is about like continuing to drive a Model T Ford when you have the choice of driving a new Lincoln. Modern machines will just do so much more."

He would probably say WOW! Where can I get one. I had a 1950 when the kids were little, then had to go to a stationwagon. (8 kids)
    I wonder what he would say to me, I drive a 1951 Ford for my daily driver. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM

I just got my 1948 featherweight this week. I already love it. It sews so well and is so easy to use. My goal is to find one from 1942 the year I was born. That's really telling all, isn't it.
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 PM

I just got mine on eBay 3 weeks ago, and she has sewn on a couple of bindings so far. Purrs like a kitten.
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:23 PM

I am old and I have a 221 Featherweight. I have been married almost 49 years and have had this one the whole time. Sewed many, many clothes and lots of chevrons when my husband was in the Marine Corps. I am not sure where my mother purchased this for me. It isn't well at the moment. A problem with the bobbin holder so it is in the shop. It truly has been the most wonderful machine. I have a couple fancy machines, but I will never give up the 221.
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
    Wow, Am I the only person with a FW machine from the 60's? Everyone else is posting earlier date machines. Just wondering if I goofed and should have gotten an earlier date one. :oops: Still learning lots here.
    My tan FW is from about 1961. The later model FWs sew just as well as the earlier models.
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM

I have one from my 1956. It belonged to my Grandmother, she bought it new, don't know how much back then. Her sister did most of the sewing on it and showed me how to use it when I was about 8yrs old. It still going strong. Wouldn't take anything for it. To me it's priceless.
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by FWDesigns
    Wow, Am I the only person with a FW machine from the 60's? Everyone else is posting earlier date machines. Just wondering if I goofed and should have gotten an earlier date one. :oops: Still learning lots here.
    You didn't goof. Your's is just the baby of the FW family :-D :-D :-D She's a wonderful machine!!
    Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Hi I tend to lurk rather than post LOL I am the proud owner of my mothers featherweight 221. I learned to sew on it and it has seen a lot of use!!!!!