Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM

I'm the proud owner of 3 FWs!! 2 my stepdaughter had bought last year at a garage sale for $20 each!! My hubby is helping her remodel her kitchen in return for them. One is '47 & '51. The 3rd I bought from a friend, I planned on buying before I got 1st two. But it's '51 not looking as good as the 1st 2. Have a friend who wants to purchase it. But all three run great. I love sewing on them.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM

I have 2 Featherweights (one is a Centennial), found them on e-bay and love them both. Their names are Bessie I and II. Periodically I take one out of its case and make a quilt--I love the purring sound that it makes as it sews the stitches. Just bought a walking foot and plan to us it on a tablerunner that I'm making. The little machines are great work horses and just keep on going.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM

I have two FW's. I bought a white one (1964) about twenty years ago from a woman I overheard telling a friend that her husband told her that she had to get rid of "some" of the ones she had. Paid $75 back then. The other one is a 1956 that belonged to my Aunt. I got it from her two months before she passed away. I named it "Cecil" after my aunt. The other one has not been named yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM

I got mie last year and a flea market for $175. Case and attachments incl. She's a 1949 and I love her! I take her to classes with me, so much easier, and she ses like a dream:-)
Old 05-22-2011, 05:30 PM

I am lucky enough to have a beautiful little featherweight I call Libby. My darling hubby found her on eBay and bought her because her birthday was Nov. 22, which is our anniversary so he thought she belonged with us. Since then, I have added a Singer 99 with a desk to my collection (her name is Elizabeth rutherford because she is a stout machine and the name seems to fit). Both are wonderful machines. Thanks to looking at these posts, just a few minutes ago I was looking at Featherweights on eBay and found a sweet one from 1938 whose auction was over in a few minutes. Although my DH urged me to buy it, I felt disloyal to Libby and Elizabeth and did not pursue it. It sold for $251.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:32 PM

I went to a Goodwill store to buy men's scarfs to use on snowmen that I was making....at the counter I saw the
featherweight...asked how much it was...gal says oh today is
half price day so it is $25.00....it's in great shape...just needed
a new power cord....that was about 7 years ago and she
still sews great.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
As of yesterday I now have 12 of the little beauties....I think they are cloning themselves in the corner where they are parked...ok by me....the more the merrier...right Billy?
Thats my girl!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM

bought one about two years ago but haven't taken it any further than the case. Finally got the hubby to check it out and we find we need a new plug and waiting to hear about that...

Wish me luck........ I am so ready to put pedal to the metal......
using that phrase just because it rhymes .....

but you all know what I mean......

interesting thread, thanks for posting it........MaryJane
Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 PM

I am awaiting one due to arrive on Tuesday. I won a bid on bay. It doesn't have a case but looked to be in great condition. I thought it would be more portable and I could leave my basement sewing room in the winter. I sure hope she is all I expect her to be.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Wow I just finished dinner dishes and am catching up on the board and saw this.
I have had my Featherweight for three or four years now and love her! I take her to classes or just perch her on my kitchen table when I need a quick hem or mending job when I have a quilt that I am in the middle of quilting on my Bernina. I try to make sure I fire her up at least once every two to three months to keep her in good running order. That's when I check oil and clean out any lint or dirt, give her some petting and attention. She likes that-alot.
Heidi