Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 AM

You know, I have a featherweight and I really don't like sewing on it. I have become so used to my Pfaff with the IDF that I find it very hard to sew on anything else. I am seriously considering selling it.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 AM

I bid on one from e-bay and won. It needed a new belt and I had it serviced, now runs great. I didn't get any attachments or case, but didn't really want them. Got a good deal, so I am happy!
Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I have one born in 1951, dh gave me for my 25th b'day. A quilter told me to buy a Featherweight rather than a new machine. She said it was all I needed until I started doing tricks with fabric. I have continued to use it, eventhough now she need to be cleaned. Wish I were brave enough to take her apart. I'm 59, so that's how long I've had her.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have a Featherweight if so plese post here so you can all chit chat with each other. Have fun!

I am still looking for one! I sure hope I can find one this year.

Craftybear
I went into the local Singer sales/repair shop several weeks ago and in the course of my conversation with the owner, spoke with him about Featherweights.

"They are work horses and practically indestructible and my wife nagged me until I found one for her," he said. "But I think buying one and carrying it to workshops and so on is about like continuing to drive a Model T Ford when you have the choice of driving a new Lincoln. Modern machines will just do so much more."

I love the look of the Featherweights and know they make wonderful straight stitches. I have a 1940-50 era Singer in the most beautiful sewing cabinet I have ever seen. The machine makes a great straight stitch. I love it and would not give it up.

If I could find a good Featherweight for less than $100, I would buy it as a collectible and I would put its picture up for you to admire, but I can almost guarantee that should I have to buy another sewing machine, it will be a Janome with lots of bells and whistles. froggyintexas
Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 AM

Yes. I bought my Featherweight about 15 years ago. I don't use it a lot, but I remember how excited I was when I got it. Maybe I need to use it more.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 AM

I have a black FW I got 28 yrs ago from a friend. Paid $20 for it and $145 for repairs and boy, does that baby hum. Her date is March 15, 1949....consequently I named her "The Ides of March". She's my RV machine and preferred piecing machine at home. My repairman (he worked for Singer for 40 yrs....knows his stuff, I think) told me "Don't touch the tension" so I don't.
BTW, he has a whole wall of FWs in his shop in Dunedin, FL. Not advertising but if anyone wants to inquire about a FW, the number is (727) 733-6181. Ember Sewing Machines, Inc is just north of Clearwater. They repair and rebuild.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Thank you, CraftyBear for starting the FW Club. I am bitten and smitten and want another FW and haven't even used the one I got last week. Will take it to my monthly sewing bee next Tuesday to show off and use.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 AM

I have one as well that I rescued from the city dump as the area I live in had huge rains about 16 years ago and a neighbor set it out on the curb to throw out. Yikes!!! I grabbed it and never let it go. Let her dry out, oiled her up, and plugged her in and she just purred. Even had the original light bulb in. If I remember correctly she is almost 70 years old.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 AM

Got "Baby" off of E-Bay. Was so exited and nervous about getting her, but she runs beautiful and is such a cutie-pie machine. I named her Baby because she was just the "sweetest little baby". Came with very good case and accessories. I think I will get her out and look at her. I have pieced a king size quilt on her and she sews beautiful stitches.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200476.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

I have about 2 dozen of them ready for service and repaints........ :D

Billy