Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM

I have the 221 Centennial edition. I love the look of the scroll plate though, and since I had one here I switched it out with the original (kept it though, in case I need to make it 'stock' again). I don't have a name for my machine...never could think of one.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

I have a friend who has a FW and has had it since she was in High School and is an avid quilter. She has made from start to finish a king size quilt on hers when that was her only machine.

Billy
Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 AM

I have had mine since 1984. I got her at a quilting retreat in Tenn. They had some vendors there and so I bought her. Her name is Genny same as mine. I use her away from homw. I even have attachment so I can maachine quilting on her.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I have 2, both won on EBay, a 1937 and a 1951 centennial (my birth year), they both run great, and are in good shape, decals are worn. I cleaned them up lubricated them and they work fantastically!! Both came with the cases and extra feet, just can't find the time to work with them yet. I'm making a quilt for a friends 50th wedding anniversary, and it is complicated and time consuming, I'll play with my babies when I finish it.

Their names are Lona Mae (after my grandmother), and Lily Anne.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I got my featherweigt just a couple of weeks ago. I had been watching craigslist and lurking on e-bay, but I was not comfortable with bidding. I talked about wanting one and showed my husband and sons pictures. They all became interested. We happened to go to a near by town to shop and noticed the local antique shop. It wasn't open, but they had a phone number on the door to call. While I was in Walmart doing my shopping my husband call them to ask if they had a featherweight. When I returned to the car, he announced that he had found me one. There were 2 things I wanted, one was the scroll plate and the other was my birthyear. I hit the jackpot. They had just what I wanted and it took right off sewing. So in the past 2 weeks I have done several small projects on her, just to get comfortable with her. She also has silver on the balance wheel. Some of her gold is worn from the front of her bed, but I figure that means that she was loved and used alot. The case is clean and no odor, had several attachments, but no attachment box. Her instruction book was missing so I first copied off the internet, but also ordered a book. I have her oiled up and cleaned her, but the tension area is yellowish looking but so far I have been afraid of going into cleaning it. The instruction book shows how to put it back together but I am still reluctant to tackle that. I haven't named her yet but thinking about naming her after my mother who taught me to sew. Then she would be Wilma but for some reason Bertha keeps coming to my mind. Oh well, she will get a name sometime.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM

I have had mine for several years and she goes to all my workshops with me.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 AM

I have a fw...my dh bought me a Singer 221 for easter..I am searching for the attachments as they didn't come with it but she is really nice....I will send pictures another time..have 3 grandkids today..blessings
Old 05-22-2011, 08:47 AM

add me to the list. [email protected] aka Libber.
I have a 222K, birthdate 1960, a red S, whatever that means. His name is Buddy. I'm even thinking about looking for a second one to take traveling.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Check out the following.... these people have such integrity, a huge knowledge base, no shipping charges in the U.S. and always answer email promptly.
www.april1930s.com
And yes, there really is an April, she and her husband own the business.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM

A gentleman in my sewing class just gave me one. How lucky am I? It came in a wooden carrying case that has to be opened with a special screwdriver. He said it was made in 1926 and last year he had it all cleaned and rewired. I was so touched that he wanted me to have it.