Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by carrieg
I purchased a Centennial off Craig's List for $200 over a year ago. The lady showed me how to work and had it all oiled/greased. I'm afraid to use it! I'm thinking of taking it to my mom's so I can use it there while visiting.
Featherweights aren't scary beasties and are very sad when you just leave them sitting in their dark case all alone. :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jan22
Unless I'm missing something here, I did not see a table for one of the old featherweight machines. You would need to have a removable section for their beds. Might work for the 222 freearms as that one does have a removable bed. If anyone checks them out and sees one, please let me know.
I have a Sewsteady portable table for my 221. The table is cut to fit the shape of the featherweight.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by jan22
Unless I'm missing something here, I did not see a table for one of the old featherweight machines. You would need to have a removable section for their beds. Might work for the 222 freearms as that one does have a removable bed. If anyone checks them out and sees one, please let me know.
I have a Sewsteady portable table for my 221. The table is cut to fit the shape of the featherweight.
I have seen the Sewsteady portable table in my magazine and I am gonna order one at the last of the month.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Anne
Oh my goodness, I was informed to use my heel on the button as this was the correct way. I was using the ball of of my foot. I love my featherweight, but I must admit, I do not like the foot pedal. I guess it is whatever is the most comfortable for you.

While I was making blocks for a quilt on my fw, the machine was slipping around on the table, so I put a piece of the rubber shelf liner that has dimples under my machine, it keeps my machine right in place.

I have also been working on the musty odor in my case. I have cleaned the case on the inside and outside with clorox and water mixture, set it in the sun for several days, left it open while it is in my sewing room, and thankfully, almost all of the smell is gone.

Aren't this machine grand, I love mine.
It sounds like you need to replace the rubber bed cushions on the bottom of your machine. Its easy to do.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
I do not own a featherweight, but would like one. My sister attends lots of auctions in rural areas (where she lives) and I wondered what information to give her so that she can spy out any that may be available. She recently was able to get a Bernina for $20, so I know they are out there and if it's raining, fewer buyers show up. Besides a photo of a featherweight, what other information should she know? Thanks!
Your sister needs to make sure that it has the bobbin case. Its under the part that flips up.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM

It sounds like you need to replace the rubber bed cushions on the bottom of your machine. Its easy to do. quote

I did look at the cushions and they are a bit slick and cracked, do I need to replace the screws also, or can I use the ones that are currently in the cushions?

As I was checking out the 221 website, I happen to see some vintage newspaper advertisements and they had a picture of the foot pedal. It looks as if the front of the foot, not the heel is on the foot pedal button. I need to make up my mind which is the most comfortable for me. I am sure either way is fine and there is no correct way.

Thanks for your suggestion for the cushions, I do believe mine need replacing. Happy sewing to everyone, Anne
Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM

I sewed on my moms for years and now on mine regularly and I always use the toe on the button never even thought to try it any other way and I feel I have perfect speed control all the time....
It sounds like you need to replace the rubber bed cushions on the bottom of your machine. Its easy to do. quote

I did look at the cushions and they are a bit slick and cracked, do I need to replace the screws also, or can I use the ones that are currently in the cushions?

As I was checking out the 221 website, I happen to see some vintage newspaper advertisements and they had a picture of the foot pedal. It looks as if the front of the foot, not the heel is on the foot pedal button. I need to make up my mind which is the most comfortable for me. I am sure either way is fine and there is no correct way.

Thanks for your suggestion for the cushions, I do believe mine need replacing. Happy sewing to everyone, Anne
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM

just take the screws out and remove the old bed cushions and
then replace them with new. Keep the old screws and reuse. I buy new ones @ http://www.221parts.com/cushion.htm
Old 08-29-2011, 10:03 AM

So, I posted pic of a 99"x104" quilt that I pieced 80% of the top on my Featherweight. My new Brother started having issues, so I put it under the table and got out the FW. She did the job without a hitch!! Then after I quilted it on my short arm, I put the binding on with my 301a.

The girls did great!!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
So, I posted pic of a 99"x104" quilt that I pieced 80% of the top on my Featherweight. My new Brother started having issues, so I put it under the table and got out the FW. She did the job without a hitch!! Then after I quilted it on my short arm, I put the binding on with my 301a.

The girls did great!!
I fell in love with my Featherweight when I was at Quilt Festival in Houston. I was taking a class and hated the machines that had been provided for us. I finished the class with my Featherweight, it didn't eat my triangle points either. :-D