Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I'm in too...........but I am a cheater, as my love afair started with one, from 1937 I was faithful.... BUT THEN............

....... #2 she's from the 40's arrived with a plan to have DH referbish for something to do in the winter........its almost like a car.......... oil, change belt, wax, sometimes some electrical etc. ............... ....
....................... Therefore, #3 arrived..............

..but the little wonder had a Fisher Body metal logo tag on it.....(DH retied from Fisher Body with tie tacks of the "coach" for service awards)..........After research and several calls found out it was used at Fisher Body Plant in Lansing MI to repair aprons..........who knew. So she's a keeper............
..............one day last year my neighbor and one of my sewing buddies said "I want a featherweight, everyone has a featherweight but me (she ment in our little sewing group).........and so the hunt began......and in the afternoon on a Tuesday.......taa daa put in a bid. Our little sewing group met that evening and I mentioned to the group about C's conservation........one of the gals said...( oh, I'll sell her one of mine"............now you have to understand she a a good buddie, finishes our quilts on her long arm for almost free, provides a great sewing place to gather, is always up to a road trip and in addition, just a good and faithful friend. Now its not my style to knife someone in the back so I kept quiet, thinking the bid would go much higher by the end of auction on Thursday. My confidence waned as I was the high bidder..........$225.00 with case and attachments. Now I started to squirm...............telling DH that something was going to be coming from Nova Scotia...........than I had to confess all to him.............he grinned.............he is a dear...........several months passed before I told the friend what happened we grin and laugh.........the friend neighbor; I guess the lust has passed for her she hasn't mentioned it...............and the one who has several 221's black ones, a white one, green one, A Desinger 1, Desiger SE, Bernina 444, Bernina something from 1994, AND a long-arm........she suggests that in the winter we use one of her machines so we don't have to carry ours out in the bad weather........talk about generous.........in addition she shares her book liberary............that's another story........bottom line she is so so very nice................calla

PS so what are we doing with these little dream machines? Perhaps a challenge using them?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
I went into the local Singer sales/repair shop several weeks ago and in the course of my conversation with the owner, spoke with him about Featherweights.

"They are work horses and practically indestructible and my wife nagged me until I found one for her," he said. "But I think buying one and carrying it to workshops and so on is about like continuing to drive a Model T Ford when you have the choice of driving a new Lincoln. Modern machines will just do so much more."
The operative words in these paragraphs are:
"SINGER SALES"

;) :lol:
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Won this cutie in a raffle - $5 for 6 tickets.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200484.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 AM

I don"t have a FW - but what a great idea!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by calla

PS so what are we doing with these little dream machines? Perhaps a challenge using them?
I have to admit that I really haven't used mine yet for anything...I only got her about 6 weeks ago and the quilt that I had going had already been started on my Viking...I've been told that you should use the same machine all the way through the quilt to get the most accurate seams, etc.

I purchased mine to take to classes, but I'm up for some sort of challenge to get me used to working with her. Anybody else?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Banned

I went into the local Singer sales/repair shop several weeks ago and in the course of my conversation with the owner, spoke with him about Featherweights.

"They are work horses and practically indestructible and my wife nagged me until I found one for her," he said. "But I think buying one and carrying it to workshops and so on is about like continuing to drive a Model T Ford when you have the choice of driving a new Lincoln. Modern machines will just do so much more."
I wonder what he would say to me, I drive a 1951 Ford for my daily driver. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200529.jpe   attachment-200530.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, won an E-Bay bid about 2 weeks ago.
Cost $152.50 + $26. shipping + $178.50.
Margaret (for my aunt who gave me my 1st machine)
is missig her circle decal and cord was a little
frayed but runs very well.
Have not posted pick yet.
J J
Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM

I bought one off e-bay abouta month ago. She is a centenial and a sweetie. I named her Issy. Her stiches are perfect.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I wonder what he would say to me, I drive a 1951 Ford for my daily driver. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
Beautiful car!! Love those white walls! :)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 AM

wow the red is so pretty I have two of them but black love to change the color of one of them.so my question to all is how big of a quilt have you sewn on them ??? and what foot do you use to get a 1/4 stitch??