Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Finally!  She's mine.... all mine! >
  • Finally! She's mine.... all mine!

• Finally! She's mine.... all mine!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the nice replies. I removed the machine from the case, but she's still pretty smelly. The case is too, but I can hold off on that because I don't plan to store her in there. Right now I have the machine in a sealed bag with a bunch of newspapers and some dryer sheets. Hopefully the smell will dissipate somewhat so that I can sew on her this coming weekend!

The person who sold her to me hunts down old featherweights and fixes them up as a hobby business. I thought she may have done an extensive cleaning and replaced the oil pad, but now I'm not so sure. I took the bottom off and it doesn't look as clean as I think it should. So, I'm searching online for instructions on exactly how to clean her, and I will buy a new drip pad (or make one) too.

I'm reading conflicting info online about the smelly issue - some people say it's definitely coming from the case - that the machine picks up the smell of the case, so leaving it out should be all you need to do. Others say it's definitely the drip pad. So, I'm trying everything!
    Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 AM

well enjoy your new treasure and she will give you many, many hours of fun to come.
    Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM

The picture looks like Miriam is in good shape. Congrats to you on finding her. I love mine---you will love yours too. They are wonderful machines.
    Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Welcome to the fun. Miriam does look like she is in good shape. I love mine for class.

There is a featherweight group on yahoo groups. It is moderated by Graham Forsdyke. There are lots of good tips and helpful people.

I would also suggest buying Dave McCallum's book The Featherweight 221 and I. It has a lot of helpful information. I have a copy and it's been helpful when I have questions. I love that I can basically take care of my FW by myself.