Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • how to hide elephants - er... umm... well,  I mean 40 sewing machine tables... >
  • how to hide elephants - er... umm... well, I mean 40 sewing machine tables...

• how to hide elephants - er... umm... well, I mean 40 sewing machine tables...

Old 10-02-2014, 04:33 PM

You guys are so funny, these posts gave me the biggest laugh I have had in a long time.
    Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    40 end tables..... no couch but plenty of end tables....
    lmbo!

Back in 2005 or so, I sold a bunch of nice Singer table-type cabinets on ebay before I moved. They were all original, not painted. I got discarded push mower boxes from Lowes and whenever I'd see one out for trash pickup. Used those as my shipping boxes. Took the legs off of cabinets, bubble-wrapped the legs. Used styrofoam sheet insulation on the top and sides of the table-top part. Packed crumpled newspaper around it all and shipped them. Shipping was less costly then, though, and people seemed to have more money and ebay was still hawt.
    Old 10-03-2014, 12:54 PM

I got tired of all the extra cabinets so one day I went through them all, decided which ones I wanted to keep and brought the rest...8 of them...out to the road. I posted a "FREE"/curb alert ad on CL. They were all gone within a few hours.

I still have 8 or 9 cabinets scrattered around the house being used as desks and end tables.
    Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM
    Power Poster

I got rid of a few. Then I got a Davis in a treadle. I think I'm over the edge... Some tables have machines to fit them some just need to go. Maybe over the week end.......... Then maybe I need to see if I can fit a FW in one........ call it a VERY rare FW cabinet..........
    Old 10-03-2014, 03:44 PM

I can't find a decently priced Singer treadle in this area to save my life. Folks around here are trying to make the mortgage payment on a single machine that looks worse than my rust buckets. If I lived in Indy I would be overflowing with great machines. The prices there are unreal compared to here.
    Old 10-03-2014, 03:51 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by crocee
    I can't find a decently priced Singer treadle in this area to save my life. Folks around here are trying to make the mortgage payment on a single machine that looks worse than my rust buckets. If I lived in Indy I would be overflowing with great machines. The prices there are unreal compared to here.
    Where do you live??? LOL
    Old 10-03-2014, 05:14 PM

The Northeast corner of Arkansas. Till I get the front end of my truck fixed trips are out of the question. Besides, its a tonka toy ranger and not big enough for all I would find
    Old 10-03-2014, 06:38 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by crocee
    The Northeast corner of Arkansas. Till I get the front end of my truck fixed trips are out of the question. Besides, its a tonka toy ranger and not big enough for all I would find
    Where there's a will there's a way. So, make two trips! You never know. I can't get a regular small cabinet in the trunk of my car but that Jones treadle fit just fine.

Cari
    Old 10-04-2014, 01:22 AM
    Power Poster

I can get 2 treadles in my Honda Fit with room to spare.
    Old 10-04-2014, 02:07 AM

I need to rephrase that. My little tonka truck wouldn't hold all that I would find that I wanted. The prices there are fantastic.