Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
NO 66 Redeye Treadle and 127 machines for me.  eBay prices clouded her mind. >

NO 66 Redeye Treadle and 127 machines for me. eBay prices clouded her mind.

NO 66 Redeye Treadle and 127 machines for me. eBay prices clouded her mind.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Default NO 66 Redeye Treadle and 127 machines for me. eBay prices clouded her mind.

I messaged with the seller today, she said that she had looked on ebay and found a treadle for $900. However, the treadle is no longer listed...wonder why After seeing the higher prices she wanted to know if it was ok to increase the price on the treadle she has posted on this FB group. I told it it was ok to decrease but not a good idea to increase. I offered her $75 for both machines with DH and I driving the 3 hours to pick it up, gas would be about $60 bucks round trip. She had mentioned her DH was on oxygen so I was offering to drive down to pick it up even though she said she would be in our area in a few weeks. I know I low balled her, but our area just does not have the demand for them. She has had these 2 machines posted for a few days and no one else has expressed any interest. I assured her that DH and I would ref rub them and bring them back to working order and that they would be used and loved. She stated she would pass on my offer and hopefully sell it to someone looking for a sewing machine to actually use for mending and such. In her defense I did not mention to her that I was a quilter.

I know there will be more along the way, so I am chalking this up to a lesson learned and move on. Who knows maybe she will contact me in a few weeks and take me up on my offer if they don't sell.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Silly woman - she either wants to sell them or she doesn't! Ebay prices are only real when the item sells, until the transaction goes through it means nothing. I am sure you will find something better when it comes along to you - just wait until spring when ppl really start to clear out and have their yard sales.

Joann
Old 02-15-2012, 08:16 AM

I have four treadle machines and a cabinet machine. I didn't pay a whole lot for any of the Singers, and not too much for the Franklin.

1910 Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle, 5 drawer base = $50.00
1924 Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle, 7 drawer base = $35.00 + expenses to return it to a treadle. It had been electrified.
1910 Singer 9W-7 Treadle, 5 drawer base = $30.00 + expenses to repair treadle base
1911 Franklin 1911, Parlor Cabinet = $160.00 + expenses to repair cabinet
1948 Singer 66-16, Cabinet = $20.00

The machines are out there. And you don't need to pay outrageous prices either. Singer made many thousands of the Red Eye machines, so $900 dollars is way out of line.

JMHO

Joe
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

I very much agree that the $900 is out of line but apparently her research on eBay has clouded her mind to believe that her treadle is indeed worth what she wants. The thing is are in Northern Michigan and the economy and demand is zilch. I told her if she changed her mind to let me know.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I have four treadle machines and a cabinet machine. I didn't pay a whole lot for any of the Singers, and not too much for the Franklin.

1910 Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle, 5 drawer base = $50.00
1924 Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle, 7 drawer base = $35.00 + expenses to return it to a treadle. It had been electrified.
1910 Singer 9W-7 Treadle, 5 drawer base = $30.00 + expenses to repair treadle base
1911 Franklin 1911, Parlor Cabinet = $160.00 + expenses to repair cabinet
1948 Singer 66-16, Cabinet = $20.00

The machines are out there. And you don't need to pay outrageous prices either. Singer made many thousands of the Red Eye machines, so $900 dollars is way out of line.

JMHO

Joe
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I very much agree that the $900 is out of line but apparently her research on eBay has clouded her mind to believe that her treadle is indeed worth what she wants. The thing is are in Northern Michigan and the economy and demand is zilch. I told her if she changed her mind to let me know.
Good idea to step away. The right machine will come along at the right time. Likely it will find you. I KNOW you will stay on the hunt.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Yup. I can "list" my machine for $12,000 on ebay. Doesn't mean it's worth that. Poor, deluded people.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

She probably just wanted to get a little more than what you offered, not necessarily $900... I'm sure she knew that was ridiculous. You said yourself you 'lowballed' her, so isn't it understandable that she declined?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Sit back and wait. She may be in touch with a lower counter offer when they don't sell for the hundreds that she's dreaming of. If not, then your machines are waiting for you elsewhere.