Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Picked up a Singer 128 'La Vencedora' >
  • Picked up a Singer 128 'La Vencedora'

• Picked up a Singer 128 'La Vencedora'

Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 AM

I also love this decal. I've got one that has some wear on the base - it came with a mixed lot of five machines and three treadle cabinets. My observations - Hand cranks seem to be in more demand than others on ebay, especially if they have a vintage handcrank. I paid $289 for mine, but the machine is from 1895 and came with a coffin top type lid. I paid $150 for a near perfect redeye in a case, and then bought an aftermarket handcrank for it. I've seen vintage handcranks sell for $50 and up - just the crank. If you are looking for a good using machine, finding a nice one and putting a hand crank on it can be the cheapest way to go. If you want one of collector quality, I'd say to expect to pay in the $250 -$300 range. I've found many diamonds in the rough on Craigslist - however keep in mind what the fuel will cost to pick it up if you have to make a special trip. sorry about the format, at work my "enter" key won't work with this message board, so I can't put line spacing into my post.
    Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the measurements.

Joe
    Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 AM

i just won a machine off ebay like it!
    Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 AM
    Power Poster

Really pretty machine!!
    Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Joe, and Steve, I thought I'd check the size of my Singer 66 bentwood top, and found it was larger than Steve was quoting.... and then the thought hit me........... 66 is full size, Joe wanted to know the size of a 3/4 size top for a hand crank. Dumb me! I measured the insides of the top for my 1924 99 with the foot control and also my 1928 99-13. Both of them have the same measurements as Steve quoted. Unfortunately I don't have the 99 handcrank to measure, but I'm thinking that it's measurements are the same. It just needs a crank that folds into the machine area, like the handcrank of my Gritzner does. Does this make sense?

The reason I was measuring my 66 is that I'm still trying to find out if my 1922 red eye started out as a treadle or a handcrank. She is in a bentwood case.
    Janis
    Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM
    Banned

As to pricing, with one or two notable exceptions I do not pay more than $100 for a portable or head, and not over $2300 for treadles complete. Patience, and the clear understanding that there are quite literally millions out there is the key to good deals. I have to tell myself all the time "walk away...walk away...". I am not using my enter key is solidarity with Macybaby...hehe Oh and Joe, the machine with handcrank is 14" side to side

Last edited by SteveH; 08-20-2013 at 08:10 AM.
    Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Location: Cabin at the lake.. on my way to Brunswick as soon as the house is complete

Originally Posted by SteveH
    As to pricing, with one or two notable exceptions I do not pay more than $100 for a portable or head, and not over $2300 for treadles complete. Patience, and the clear understanding that there are quite literally millions out there is the key to good deals. I have to tell myself all the time "walk away...walk away...". I am not using my enter key is solidarity with Macybaby...hehe Oh and Joe, the machine with handcrank is 14" side to side

That seems to be the learning curve I am on.."Walk Away"..still learning or reminding myself that there are more out there and that I do not have to pack all the orphans home
    Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by brunswickgirl
    That seems to be the learning curve I am on.."Walk Away"..still learning or reminding myself that there are more out there and that I do not have to pack all the orphans home

We don't ? No one told me that...
    Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM

I am a sewing machine junkie.... lol
    Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Steve, do you really enjoy making us all green with envy? You find some of the most beautiful machines..... then make them glamorous...... guess I'd better locate some green eye shadow to match my skin.