Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Sigh ..... I have to confess ..... >
  • Sigh ..... I have to confess .....

• Sigh ..... I have to confess .....

Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Sigh ..... I have to confess .....

......... that after a bit over two years of accumulating and working on machines, Singer machines are boring.

Although there are a myriad of models once you get past that, they're all the same. A Singer 15 is a 15 is a 15. All black with few variations. Same with the 99s, 66s, 201s, et al.

They're only saving grace is they work. At least the older all metal ones do. I can't say the same for the plastic wannabees. But to be honest, even sewing with them is boring.

On the other hand, I've become rather enthralled with the American made White machines. The older ones like the FR's have decals that make the machine look like an artist worked it over, and the later ones came in colors. I have two that are OD green, one that's chocolate brown, and one that's tan with chocolate brown trim.
    I love the crinkle painted ones too.

And they sew great. Not that it matters. They look interesting, that's the important part.

Then there are the clones ..... oh my. Lots of colors, names, and many design variations. Very interesting.

I'm doomed. I can't just sit down and sew any more unless the machines talks to me.

I'm on the hunt for a vintage, all metal, factory painted, fire engine red machine now ....... e-gads.

Joe
    Old 11-01-2014, 11:55 AM

I think it happens to all of us. There are going to be some machines that speak to us louder than others.
    While the Japanese machines with all the bright colors and cool controls are neat and I like them they don't speak to me as loudly as the old treadle and hand crank machines or even the earlier electric machines. I tend to be more interested in the design variations of the earlier machines leading up to what we would consider to be a modern machine. I like things like turtle back motors and the Hamilton Beach motors, the old Revco conversion kits, tensions on top of the machine, foot shaped controllers, etc.
    Rodney
    Old 11-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Ack! You're scaring me! Will this happen to me too? * I mean it has happened a little bit, changing my mind from hating Kenmores to likeing them and thinking beige Singers were the top to them dropping a bit in my mind.. but I have a stock of old Singers. What if I get bummed on them before I fix them all? Oh no.
    Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM

That's why I really focus on vintage Bernina, Pfaff and Elnas. The Singers (and I do love them) just didn't "do" it for me anymore. I still have a few Singer models I'd like, but mainly I'm done!
    Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 PM

That's what's so nice about sewing machines. There are plenty of niches for collecting them. Some may want to focus only on Singer model 12s for instance. Others may want an assortment of Japanese zigzag machines from the 50s and 60s. Others may want only early machines from before 1900.
    I'm fascinated with the early development of machines from treadle to electric. There were a bunch of different ways to hang a motor on a machine. Some of the early conversions and electrified machines are fascinating to me.
    Rodney
    Old 11-01-2014, 03:43 PM
    Banned

I think we all have gone through this process in one way or another. We start collecting broadly then narrow our focus, over time even changing focus from one brand/type to another. I think it's a natural form of evolution, as we gain more knowledge we know more questions to ask, have a better understanding of what it is we want to accomplish or which machines we want in our collections.
    Now here's a Singer you won't see every day. The girl who owns it stands firm that it's not a repaint. I've stopped arguing with her.

Maybe someone would want to focus on machines like this one, not your every day Singer?

Good luck on the fire engine red machine, very few of those that aren't repaints. I've seen only a handful in my 5 years of trolling all the sites.

Cari
    Attached Thumbnails 03eda880ff034b0691b0f5e9d2bbad7a_a.jpeg  
    Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Here's one:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...hine/596028625

That Singer looks sickly. Here's a strange one:

http://www.singeroriginalvintageprod...HINEGREEN.aspx
    Old 11-01-2014, 04:24 PM

I kind of agree about the Singers - but I really wanted a 201 and to fix up the treadle with the rusty Red Eye - so I upgraded the Red Eye, then upgraded the treadle - then found more . . .

And before I knew it, I had a hole heard of Singers. And I would have been find had I stopped there.

But I didn't, DH found a Two Spool and we bought that, and then I found my New Queen - it was that one that broke the ice, because before that I was firm on not buying any top clamp attachment machines. And now that is what my collection is more than anything.

But I did just win another on eBay this am - one I'm quite excited to get. Not my missing Eldredge though, but something almost as hard to find.
    Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    But I did just win another on eBay this am - one I'm quite excited to get. Not my missing Eldredge though, but something almost as hard to find.
    You're such a tease!
    Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 PM
    Banned

[QUOTE=KenmoreRulesAll;6952527]Here's one:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...hine/596028625

Yep, I've seen a few of those Bel Airs. I wouldn't mind having one of those myself since red is my favorite color.

Cari