Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need model number, manual, and age please? >

Need model number, manual, and age please?

Need model number, manual, and age please?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:31 PM

Default Need model number, manual, and age please?

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I could really use some help. I have this machine, it's a Bradford with a serial number of 800450 on the plate. I don't know model number or age. I'm trying to locate a manual. I have the different cams for it also. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 20170628_211525-1.jpg   20170628_211341-1.jpg   20170628_211251-1.jpg   20170628_211436-1.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:21 PM

Welcome SanFranksam. First, I need to tell you that I'm not an expert on Japanese machines. There are groups who love these machines. There's a group on Yahoo that specializes in them. They have manuals in their files section. They are said to be great machines, well made and easy to use. Now, the bad news; you may not get the model number, age and and manual quickly. It will probably take some digging on your part to get that information.

It appears to be a Japanese made machine from the 70's. If you'll look on the underside, you may find a "J-..." number. That may tell you who the manufacturer was.

I have a Japanese model from the 60's that says SanShin on the underside. On the front, it says it's Montgomery Wards 17 Jewel. Many of these machines were sold under various names. The manual could have any name on the front. Or, like one I looked at this week, it just said Deluxe Zig-Zag on the front. The machine it matched was a Nelco. So, you'll have to look on Google Images to try and find the other names that machine might have had. The other option is to go to the manual sites and look at the photos on the front of the manuals.

Congrats on the nice machine.

I'll share something else. I posted my sister's machine and no one responded. Several months later, I posted it again. This time, someone came up with the model number immediately (Morse 9550), as one was on Ebay at that time. I bought the manual for $10.00 and was happy to get it.

bkay
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM

W T Grant's was a chain of discount department stores that used the Bradford name on their store brand products. They went out of business in the 70's.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Welcome SanFranksam. First, I need to tell you that I'm not an expert on Japanese machines. There are groups who love these machines. There's a group on Yahoo that specializes in them. They have manuals in their files section. They are said to be great machines, well made and easy to use. Now, the bad news; you may not get the model number, age and and manual quickly. It will probably take some digging on your part to get that information.

It appears to be a Japanese made machine from the 70's. If you'll look on the underside, you may find a "J-..." number. That may tell you who the manufacturer was.

I have a Japanese model from the 60's that says SanShin on the underside. On the front, it says it's Montgomery Wards 17 Jewel. Many of these machines were sold under various names. The manual could have any name on the front. Or, like one I looked at this week, it just said Deluxe Zig-Zag on the front. The machine it matched was a Nelco. So, you'll have to look on Google Images to try and find the other names that machine might have had. The other option is to go to the manual sites and look at the photos on the front of the manuals.

Congrats on the nice machine.

I'll share something else. I posted my sister's machine and no one responded. Several months later, I posted it again. This time, someone came up with the model number immediately (Morse 9550), as one was on Ebay at that time. I bought the manual for $10.00 and was happy to get it.

bkay
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

I'm not sure about this one but Bradford machines in the 50s and 60s were built by Brother. The serial number on a Japanese machine is basically useless because there are no records to search. A JA number on the underside of the machine may give a clue to the manufacturer.

Cari
Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Yes, I also have a Bradford machine are they are made by Brother and it was purchased at Grant's in 1968. It's a very strong running machine, will sew pretty much anything. The one I have uses Cams for decorative stitches.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks. I have 25 cams with mine.