Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is this a 201?  Does it need to come home with me? >

Is this a 201? Does it need to come home with me?

Is this a 201? Does it need to come home with me?

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan
Default Is this a 201? Does it need to come home with me?

I want a 201. Is this a reasonable price? After all, some day I may want to sew 8 layers of denim.

http://asheville.craigslist.org/atq/3066423887.html
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Yep, it's a 201 and yep it needs a new home. My 201 is a very nice sewing machine. Quiet and solid feeling.

I'd try to get them down a bit on the price, but that's not too bad. I paid around 80 I think for mine but it's not in a treadle base, just a cabinet that kind of looks like a treadle cabinet.

Joe
Old 06-18-2012, 07:23 PM

It's in a treadle cabinet, and you won't be able to treadle it at all, but it's a nice looking machine. Looks like the attachments are there too.
~deep breath~ *I* think $100 is too spendy...but there are those (not naming names or anything, Miriam ) that would call me a tightwad...but they're a common machine, and a wonderful machine! (You couldn't talk me out of mine for $100, but that's because I want to keep it!)

I'm with Joe...offer less....considerably less...like $50, and then go up if you have to and really want it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I'll call them tomorrow and find out important things like: does it run. Might try to use the cabinet condition to try to get them down. I'd be happy with $75, I think. Even if they don't operate the machine (looks like it has a knee control), I love the art deco irons. After all, the 66 now sews and I am in process of reconstructing the treadle frame, so if this doesn't treadle, that's OK.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM

I just finished piecing a twin sized quilt top with my 201-----I paid$60 for mine but it needed alittle repair to the feed dogs...(extra $40). I love it and wouldn't give it up for bushel and a peck.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM

I've seen that cab in teadle and elec, but that one was never a treadle or someone piece it together , all the others are a flip top. that is a drop leaf, like a coffin top , lift the leaf they should be a swing out cast iron support, There's no hole for a belt the legs are wooden no center brace,, and no place to hang a flywheel,, the pedal is a parlor type , but the palor mount are not there ,, they just hook it to the elec foot pedal ??
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

I got my Singer 201 at an auction. I actually bought it for the cabinet, a Singer model 42 cabinet. I paid $20, mine was the only bid. Unfortunately, it did not come with controller or electric cord, which cost me $70 at a Singer store. I know now I could have gotten the controller/cords for much less. Live and learn! It's a great machine, one of my favorites.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM

Kris, that's a Singer 1200-1, which is basically a 201-2 made for tailors and mounted in a special table. It has a knee-operated presser foot and the motor controller is external--you can see the box hanging under the table--so when you press on the treadle pedal, it operates the motor.

The model in the photos is from 1935, so be sure to take a good, hard look at the wiring to see if it's intact.

For all purposes the machine will behave like a 201-2--it has the same motor and everything else--but you may find the knee-operated presser foot more convenient.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM

Rain, thanks for the explanation. I thought that was the knee lift, and that the treadle operated the motor (that's what it looks like), but didn't come to the conclusion that was an industrial setup. That just makes me like it more, but not this one for me. It just didn't work. I'll work on finishing my treadle irons and wait until the right deal comes along.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Hi Kris, the 1200-1 is not really an "industrial" as a tailoring shop didn't operate at the relentless pace of a factory. It's still a domestic machine with a domestic motor; the only real difference is the table, knee-lifter and pedal-operated motor controller.

Good on you for not letting the hysteria get to you, and for waiting for a working machine. If I'd had your sense, I'd have about six less machines and a little less stress! I've got two 1200-1's, one from the 1950s and one from the 1930s, and the latter machine has completely shot wiring that I've yet to restore.