201 Singer

Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Yes, they do fit in a bentwood case. Here are a couple I have in the hoard. I wouldn't advise carrying either by the handle. That beast is a heavy one!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0112-640-x-426-.jpg   singer-201-2-bentwood-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 06:49 AM

It's not only the handles breaking that makes us recommend not carrying by the handle. By this age, a lot of the glue has crumbled, moulded or otherwise given way. Many of the dowels and nails are no longer secure. The whole machine can actually come crashing out leaving you with a lid in your hands. An OSMG guy told me he's had tons of cases self destruct on him over the years.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It's not only the handles breaking that makes us recommend not carrying by the handle. By this age, a lot of the glue has crumbled, moulded or otherwise given way. Many of the dowels and nails are no longer secure. The whole machine can actually come crashing out leaving you with a lid in your hands.
Agreed. But beware of the new luggage these days too. I’ve had people bring me relatively new soft luggage (used for traveling, not to carry sewing machines) and want to see if I can sew the handle back on it for them. Usually I tell them that it would be cheaper to go buy a new piece of luggage and they do. I think it’s amazing how many companies start with a handle and build the luggage around it.....and the handle appears to be the weakest part of the whole thing!

Kind of off topic but speaking of tough plastic.....I went to the kitchen and made myself a sandwich a few minutes ago. The self-sealing cheese package had that strip on top that said “To open, tear here”.

I guess I’m still not to the age yet to just go get a pair of scissors when I see that, but that’s what it finally took again this time. Too bad the soft luggage companies don’t use that cheese bag plastic for their handles.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
... Too bad the soft luggage companies don’t use that cheese bag plastic for their handles..... CD in Oklahoma
Oh so True!!!!!! LOL
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM

LOL, you two. Coming from someone who can pitch one royal fit trying to open one of those things......think turn the air blue here.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

totally agree about the cheese wrappers. I keep a cheap pair of scissors in the kitchen drawer for all that stuff.