201 Singer

Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM

Default 201 Singer

I would really like to make my 201 a portable machine... It is a beast and heavy... any suggestions?? I have taken it out of the cabinet....Love the machine, but can't take it to charity sews like it is....
Old 10-26-2014, 09:55 AM

There are a few different cases you can put it in, but it isn't going to get any lighter.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 AM

I love my Singer 201 but it is a machine that is staying in its cabinet. I leave it there to mend all of my DH's coveralls, winter coats and any other thick heavy things. I also use it to make all of my buttonholes on the many bags and other items I make but it never gets to go out to any stitching days as it's just too heavy and I don't like dragging it out of the cabinet. I take my Featherweight to workshops as it is an easy traveller.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 AM

I'm not going to suggest a bentwood case - but that is an option if you want. Other than looks, I don't see any advantage to go with that over either of these two - it's going to cost more also - your best bet to get one is buy it with a crappy looking 66 inside. I can't say for sure that the 201 will fit in a bentwood case. There are two sizes of these too.

This is what my DH's 201 "portable" came in. It's about 15x21

Do Not confuse this with it's much more common smaller sister - that fits the 301. the smaller one measures about 13 x 18. The 201 will not fit in the smaller case.

This is the base that the 201 came in.

The nice thing about that style case, you can carry it by the handle, the bad part is it's a pain to get the heavy machine in and out of it.

If it isn't already this way, I'd suggest wiring your 201 to take the two lead plug (like this one) if the foot pedal is hardwired, it will be alot easier for you if you unwire the pedal and get a two end lead and wire the foot pedal to that (you can buy it with or without the pedal attached).

This is an older style case - and there are two sizes, the smaller fits the 99/128 (this is pre 301).

Here is what the base looks like.

With this style - you probably don't ever want to pick it up by the handle. Use it only to lift the cover off the machine.

Though this style is harder to carry, it's easier to get the cover off the machine.

My advice - if you really want a vintage, full size Singer to carry around - get a 301 and put the 201 back in the cabinet. Unless you are into weight lifting and have a really strong back.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:10 AM

Here’s another portable option, although it isn’t an original mating. The machine is a 1948 Singer 201K4 Hand Crank (originally an electric 201). The case is a Singer snap-on case that is of a slightly newer vintage, but I don’t know what machines it was sent out with originally. The length of it allows the hand attachment to remain on the machine with the lid snapped on. The solid wooden bed extension and base makes this machine heavier than a normal 201, so I don’t “port” it much unless I use an old wheel chair to roll it around in. I believe that the case handle is strong enough to use for carrying, and I do use it for lifting, but about any handle can break.

An old wheelchair is my choice for transporting portable sewing machines of all kinds and in all types of cases. I have 4 of them scattered around at the shop and at the house just for that purpose. And they go across grass and gravel, up over curbs, and even up and down stairs. And while they’re transporting my machine, they make a nice walker for me to hold onto as well....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine467_01.jpg   machine467_06.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
I would really like to make my 201 a portable machine... It is a beast and heavy... any suggestions?? I have taken it out of the cabinet....Love the machine, but can't take it to charity sews like it is....
Singer made an aluminium version from 1953 but only in Scotland. It looks different but the sewing mechanism is identical to the earlier ones. They're uncommon in the U.S. but extremely common in Australia and the U.K. and they sew exactly the same as the cast iron version, just much lighter.
If you're keen you could import one (or two)
Old 10-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
If you're keen you could import one (or two)
or three since you are in Iowa, and I could easily drive that far to get one. That would be an awesome machine to have!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
or three since you are in Iowa, and I could easily drive that far to get one. That would be an awesome machine to have!
I could help out on this side, but shipping is probably cheaper from the UK. They're about half the weight of the cast iron beasts.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you can go get a rolling tool box from Harbor Freight to haul it in.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Maybe you can go get a rolling tool box from Harbor Freight to haul it in.
I use one of the old style luggage carriers to wheel my machines around. These are the carriers that were used before luggage had wheels built in.