401a

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM

I have this machine. Was my FIRST wedding anniversary gift..............It is a workhorse. Just started quilting 5 years ago. Use almost every day to sew quilt blocks..........You will enjoy this machine for many years.
Happy Quilting
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

More info about my previous post. My machine was purchased in l957.................Old but still working good. Use almost every day.
Happy Quilting
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyplace View Post
More info about my previous post. My machine was purchased in l957.................Old but still working good. Use almost every day.
Happy Quilting
I believe the key to it is to use it almost every day.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM

I just a month or so ago won a bid for my 401.. I paid more for it and did not get all the goodies..infact I think the shipper (packer) must have dropped it and a corner of the bed in the back was broken.didn't hurt the function of the machine. It did move but the stitch controls did not move. I cleaned, cleaned and oiled (even found a little bird feather in it) finally after much gentle persuasion I could move the controls. I found even then it would not change the stitches. It was locked up in the stitching bar above the needle. got that loosened up and it works. Still needs a bit more cleaning but everything works correctly and it sews a wonderful stitch. So I love this machine.(I had one like it I bought used in 1958 that is still working)my daughter has it. This one is not as worn as that one. I Did lots of upholstery sewing, heavy sewing as well as light. I have worn out many machines in the last 25 years so I think I got a great deal! but Yours is a wonderful buy! keep cleaning oiling and loosening and you will love her when she purrs for you!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Use it every day is a good thing to do! mine will get a little sticky if it sets still very long..(needs more cleaning and oiling..I can get it completely free.but it sews great)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM

I emailed the young woman who I purchased it from, to thank her and her dad for helping me get it into the car and to let her know that it was well cared for. I was also curious about who the owner was, since everything was so well cared for with shiny scissors still in their vintage boxes. She told me a friend of her dad's had been caring for the elderly woman up to the time she died. She used the machine every day. The friend gave the machine to them, and neither of them knew how to use it--so it sat as a desk for plants for a year until they finally decided they needed the extra space. I am glad to have it.

Still working on the gears--they are stubborn
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM

Update: TriFlow + blow dryer = working Stitch Selector .
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Glad to hear! Mine seems to be working okay too. Where did you oil your feed dogs?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Glad to hear yours is also working, your thread was very, very timely! I oiled on and under all the feed dogs and just let it soak where it wanted go. That worked almost immediately. Impressive stuff, the Triflow..
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM

I don't mean to stick my snoot in where it's not wanted, but ... if you oil it and grease it with Tri-Flow it won't stiffen up if you let it sit for a while. I've set all my regular sewing machine oils aside except for oiling motors, and now use the Tri-Flow exclusively.

Joe