Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
About machine belts .......... >

About machine belts ..........

About machine belts ..........

Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM

I had the same problem with my 99k. A cogged belt fit but I just don't like how they look. I finally got the round stretch belt. If you got the 15"-21" one it won't put a strain on the motor. If you were at the higher end if that spectrum (say you needed a 19" belt), I wouldn't recommend it though.

I luckily, was also at the lower end & the stretch belt works fine AND looks much nicer than the cogged one. It fit nicely without stretching & I have room for adjustment.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Jury rigging a shoe lace is OK for an emergency but not for a machine I'll use.

I have had more rubber band belts fail than regular belts. I won't use them unless I have to.

Joe
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM

("caroloto,
What is the number of the belt you have? Does your machine have a spoked hand wheel?
The spoked hand wheels have a smaller pulley diameter than the solid hand wheels.
Sew-Classic does address this and Jenny can help you get the right belt.

Joe ")

Joe,
I just checked, it was/is the 193077 and my 66 has been changed before I got it into a hard wheel with motor. Way to large for it, the old one had stretched that is why I orderd the new one for it. What I ended up doing and it worked was I had one of those Singer general belts still in the package that are round not flat put it on there and it worked. Not sure how long that belt will work, but until the right size needed is localed it will have to do.
Carol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

I had to buy 6 or 7 belts for my Singer 15 clone before I could get one that fit. I don't like the plastic cog belts, they are all I could get.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Phyllis,

The clones I've had no problem with. I've been able to find regular black V-belts for all of them. I had the same problem with the cogged belts on my HOTHER as I have with the 328K.

Joe
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Just a note in passing here as I cruise our forum tonight waiting for DWTS to come on.....How do you pronounce HOTHER.....Hoth-er with the long accent on the O? Hother like mother? Hot-her? This from an English major in college. I never heard of that machine, and every time I have read anything about it, I walk around with that word in my head for three days, wondering......
Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM

JoAnn,

HOTHER ..... well, I don't know how the HOTHER people pronounce it, but I've always pronounced it HOTH with a soft o and ER on the end.

Since I started looking into that machine I've joined the Yahoo group for Japanese machines and gotten no information. Found NOTHING on the internet about it, and only seen two other HOTHER machines on GW auctions.
I've struck out.

All I know is this one was made by JUKI and is an excellent machine.

Joe
Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 AM

328K belt update.

In the almost year since this thread was started both my wife and I have used this machine a lot. Me I sew slow and steady, my wife sews pedal to the metal. She's made a bunch of her pet tents which requires the machine to sew through multiple layers of fabrics, and is currently working on a back pack.

We put it in a cabinet and have it set up as a go-to machine so it's getting a lot of use.

So far not one slip or trouble from the 193077 belt that I thought was too long. Apparently it's got more than enough traction on the pulleys.

Joe
Old 03-13-2015, 05:33 AM

Good to know. Thanks for the update. So many times threads peter out with no resolution.
Rodney
Old 03-13-2015, 07:56 PM

Joe, I could not imagine -- my son has changed out the belts on my 328K when required. I'm not sure of the number, but I searched my original manual, and it has NOTHING in there regarding the belt! I suspect Singer expected that we would take the machine in to have the belt changed! FAT CHANCE! I think the belt we have is a round stretchable belt and it has been on there a long time, presenting no problem! My machine is a solid hand/balance wheel! The belt I have is about the same thickness as the bobbin tire!

Wish I had more, but I don't! Glad your machine is working okay!

Jeanette