? about this Singer

Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM

Singerco.com has free downloads for earlier Singer machines in their "Resources" section. They may even have the correct manual for yours. The older 15 manuals should be close enough to get you by though.
I just checked. Someone here gave me a copy of the 15-91 service manual. There are some differences in the motor and possibly the upper threading but it should work for your purposes.
I'll send you a copy.
Rodney
Old 09-29-2015, 05:13 AM

Those "nostalgia" machines don't really appeal to me either. They're usually kind of high priced - you can often get the real deal in great shape for the same prices I see people asking for the modern copies.

I'm not sure that people actually GET those higher prices, but I see them come up on eBay and people usually want around $150-200 for them. You can get a REALLY nice vintage Singer 15 for that much money.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Those "nostalgia" machines don't really appeal to me either. They're usually kind of high priced - you can often get the real deal in great shape for the same prices I see people asking for the modern copies.

I'm not sure that people actually GET those higher prices, but I see them come up on eBay and people usually want around $150-200 for them. You can get a REALLY nice vintage Singer 15 for that much money.
I agree, the repros are often priced higher than the real thing. For example, there's been one on my local CL for at least a year they're asking an outrageous amount of $$ for the machine in a cheap press board cabinet that's missing some of the drawers. Of course it doesn't help matters that they keep listing it a rare antique. This person knows it isn't an antique. Will they ever get what they're asking for it? I hope not, because that would mean that some poor soul who knows nothing about these machines was suckered by a shyster.

Cari
Old 09-29-2015, 04:53 PM

I would like to have one if it was cheap enough. Especially if it was a hand crank.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 PM

I was always under the impression that these machines were made for the old world markets where people can buy them cheaply and make a living with them, I could be wrong. I do know that people in Mexico were using them that way and have seen some in pictures in other countries. So maybe they actually sew really well and would be worth the 40 bucks, seems like that isn't a bad price for a newish machine even if it did make a bit more noise. Just depends on what you want or need. Most of us don't need one like that because we have quite a few other machines of different types.

I too have viewed that machine on Clist that Cari mentioned. I bet if they keep it on there long enough someone will buy it because they don't know about machines, it looks nice in the cabinet. I have goofed several times in the antique business, but you eventually learn from your mistakes, I guess I am saying he has a right to ask that 250 if he wants to, you never know who will walk by and think it is the most cool machine they have ever seen.
Who in the heck wants to renew those listing on C-list all the time, I have often wondered, there was a really junky machine on there for like 2 years for 10 bucks and they just kept listing it day after day, made no sense to me.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I would like to have one if it was cheap enough. Especially if it was a hand crank.
Aye, cheap enough and it'd be interesting to play with. Sort of like those Alpha-Sew Featherweight "clones" - if I found one cheap, I'd buy it just to compare the two machines side-by-side myself out of pure curiosity. But I'm not paying $100 or more for either!
Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

I have one of those and it is noisy. Motor Honey wouldn't quiet this thing down though.