Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Alden SUZ-2 Super Zig-Zag is home >

Alden SUZ-2 Super Zig-Zag is home

Alden SUZ-2 Super Zig-Zag is home

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Sure would be nice if we could find out more about these beauties, wouldn't it? My Universal is J-A 38. It looks very much the same inside as your Alden. I do not have a single hole presser foot and my needle parks to the left only. Is the Alden a short shank? Some of the feet look like longs. THe U is definitely a long shank and, of course, I have no long shank accessories like a hopping foot or a walking foot. I look forward to seeing your stitches.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM

Wonderful sewing machine Joe. By the looks of her she is related (kissin cousin?) to my Universal Zig Zag. I think that perhaps if you cannot find a manual for your Alden you should create one. I think I may have to do that with the Universal Super Zig Zag. I have been fiddling her knobs and buttons and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the knob to turn that creates the decorative stitches.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:22 AM

Gorgeous Joe! That spring is the one piece I am missing out of the accessories that came with the Toyota I picked up a while back. as for foot#14 - I have 4 different Japanese machines and all 4 have a different sized foot, some really skinny, some a bit fatter...and yours is the super sized version!

Joann
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Sure would be nice if we could find out more about these beauties, wouldn't it? My Universal is J-A 38. It looks very much the same inside as your Alden. I do not have a single hole presser foot and my needle parks to the left only. Is the Alden a short shank? Some of the feet look like longs. THe U is definitely a long shank and, of course, I have no long shank accessories like a hopping foot or a walking foot. I look forward to seeing your stitches.
I got an offset, high shank, straight stitch presser foot from my local sewing machine guy for my Dial 'n Sew. It's a zig-zag that parks to the left.
I also got an offset, low shank, straight stitch, presser foot from him that so far doesn't fit anything I have.
I'd love to find sources of information for these machines. I hate to admit it, but the Japanese machines are more interesting to me that the Singers made from the 60s on.
We've got a small walking foot that is a low shank foot. It came with an adapter for the old style Berninas. We took the adapter off it works fine on regular low shank machines.
I'll get the stitch patterns made as soon as I can.

Joe
Old 04-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Wonderful sewing machine Joe. By the looks of her she is related (kissin cousin?) to my Universal Zig Zag. I think that perhaps if you cannot find a manual for your Alden you should create one. I think I may have to do that with the Universal Super Zig Zag. I have been fiddling her knobs and buttons and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the knob to turn that creates the decorative stitches.
Caroline,

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your Universal and this one was made in the same place. At least they probably share many of the same designs.
I've got to go back and look at your machine. I can't remember what it's controls look like.
Perhaps it needs the top off and a gallon of oil poured inside. That's just about what I did to this one. Besides the two or three actual oil holes, there is a bunch of moving, pivoting, sliding, turning, parts that were dry, so I oiled them. I put the Tri-Flo grease on the two gear sets at the left end as well.
I think people sometimes just put one drop of oil in the oil holes and then forget the rest of the moving parts. Then they run the machine to death and wonder why it quits working.

Post me a close up pic of the entire front of your machine and I'll cogitate on the controls.

Joe
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
Gorgeous Joe! That spring is the one piece I am missing out of the accessories that came with the Toyota I picked up a while back. as for foot#14 - I have 4 different Japanese machines and all 4 have a different sized foot, some really skinny, some a bit fatter...and yours is the super sized version!

Joann
Joann,

How do you use that spring?
Do you need a hoop for the fabric?
Do you have to use the plates over the feed dogs or can you just drop the dogs and use it?
Any particular way to run the machine while you're using it?

We've been comparing that big straight stitch foot to all the others we've got and it's the biggest.
So, I think we've found a name for this machine: Big Foot. It should work great, I'm going to try it on something.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-05-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM

Joe, I think the conversation about the needle springs was on the Vintage shop thread...
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Joe, I think the conversation about the needle springs was on the Vintage shop thread...
Oh boy, that's gonna be even harder to find. I'll go take a look see later after I "accomplish" something.

Joe
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Caroline,

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your Universal and this one was made in the same place. At least they probably share many of the same designs.
I've got to go back and look at your machine. I can't remember what it's controls look like.
Perhaps it needs the top off and a gallon of oil poured inside. That's just about what I did to this one. Besides the two or three actual oil holes, there is a bunch of moving, pivoting, sliding, turning, parts that were dry, so I oiled them. I put the Tri-Flo grease on the two gear sets at the left end as well.
I think people sometimes just put one drop of oil in the oil holes and then forget the rest of the moving parts. Then they run the machine to death and wonder why it quits working.

Post me a close up pic of the entire front of your machine and I'll cogitate on the controls.

Joe
Gonna go back and look at my pics as I thought I had taken one of the top of the machine. If not, I will. I did take the top off to look inside. WOW, a whole bunch of awesome gears. I was not sure if they should be oiled or greased so I didn't. Pics coming your way soon. I am also going to bring the Morse inside today and start tinkering with her. She has been in the garage until I could find room in the house. Solution, move plants that are on the plant stand to the greenhouse, move plant stand to the deck and voila, perfect spot for the Morse.

Caroline
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

the wires on my Toyota are crunchy so she hasn't been plugged in since we brought her home as I have been working on getting one of the machines in my avatar (the one in front) cleaned up and ready to go to the daughters this wknd.
I will dig out the manual and see what it says, if anything, about how to use that spring.

J

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Joann,

How do you use that spring?
Do you need a hoop for the fabric?
Do you have to use the plates over the feed dogs or can you just drop the dogs and use it?
Any particular way to run the machine while you're using it?

We've been comparing that big straight stitch foot to all the others we've got and it's the biggest.
So, I think we've found a name for this machine: Big Foot. It should work great, I'm going to try it on something.

Joe

Last edited by JMCDA; 04-05-2012 at 08:16 AM.