Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight? >

Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight?

Any reason NOT to buy a Featherweight?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 PM

I have several vintage machines and a sewing area set up in my downstairs, but I've been using my FW almost exclusively for the past year or so. It goes in its cute little FW cabinet upstairs and I can be with my family and sew while watching tv or whatever there. I love it. I probably love my Rocketeer downstairs more, but I can't help but appreciate how small and portable the FW is. It's just so easy to drag with me and use anywhere.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:59 AM

I do not use mine...but I love it. I clean it once in a while, sew a seam or two and put it away. It is such a cute little machine, it is a shame I don't use it. Should probably sell I! I would probably buy another one if a steal came along!,
Old 09-26-2016, 04:03 AM

If you have the money and want to try it I don't see any reason not to. It's advantages are mainly in it's size and weight, otherwise a full size and even the 3/4 size machine have most of it's features and even a few more; takes the same needles, feet, same narrow set feed dogs, etc. It certainly has a charm factor, the small size makes it very cute. I fixed up a 201 wich has become my favorite; it's in a cabinet and it's the one I use for most sewing. It's a joy to work with, and it came as a bit of a surprise, these things you really don't know until you start using it.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-26-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:10 AM

I love my FW for all the aforementioned reasons: portable, perfect stitch, cute, etc. I use it when watching tv with hubby instead of going into the sewing room and take it to classes. But you were looking for reasons not to buy. The only thing I can think of is if you do mainly appliqué or fancy stitches they would not be available on the FW. But if you are like me and most of sewing is straight stitch piecing, you might love it! I only use my computerized machines for blanket stitch, satin stitch and an occasional fancy stitch. Sorry, I am no help at all here.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:27 AM

Well, I can tell you lots of things I love about mine. Others have mentioned the excellent quality of the straight stitch And it's portability. The other things that come to mind are that there are some really fun attachments you can add to it to make it do all kinds of things besides straight stitch. For example, Singer made a zig zag attachment that foes on the foot and has cams it moves the fabric under the needle and you can do about 8 or 10 decorative stitches with it. I have one and have had great fun playing with it on my 1955fw. There's also a buttonhole attachment with cams, I have that one too. And there is a fellow who sells a modern hand crank and gives very clear instructions on how to switch your FW back and forth between a hand cranked machine and electric. I have one of those too and it's a lot of fun to just do the conversion(takes me about 15 min) and take my FW outside and sew away under a tree in the park.

If you use it for chain piecing you won't miss the thread cutter.

I don't know what ones that have been completely restored run, but if the person is asking $200-$300 I would expect it to have its bobbin case (check, they're often missing and I've seen lots of folks reporting that the reproduction bobbin cases don't work as well in the pre1960s fws. You can sometimes find an original bobbin case on eBay for $30 ( if you're lucky) but I've seen people get into bidding wars over them as well and it can cost lots more to get an original one as a result.

i got mine at a junk store for $60 (no case, but lots of attachments) oiled it, cleaned it and it ran fine, no tension problems at all.

Rob
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I only use my white one I do not like the pedal on the black ones. I have multiple machines and did not use the Featherweight untill I went on vacation and forever after it is my go to machine for piecing. I like it and with mine I do not need leaders and enders as it doesn't suck the fabric down ever. I do not use the attachements either but did get a quarter inch foot, with guide, for it that I always keep on it except for paper piecing or sewing clothes. I'd be a little nervous of the tension issues one. Maybe check out the closest one and see if you even like it.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:08 AM

I love mt FW. The only reason I can come up with to NOT buy a FW is price. I have seen some WAY over $500. To me that says "keep shopping, you can do better than that." You have some good choices.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 AM

I would be wary of the $300 machine, anything could be wrong with it. Everyone says, "Tension problems" when they have no idea what is wrong. SOMETHING is wrong with that machine....who knows what....might be minor...might be major. OK....I'm suspicious of everyone.

I am not a big fan of FW's. My first one i got for $20, worked on it, sold for $250. I have one now, paid $100, needs a little work, and I plan to sell for $250, or less. I miss the needle up/down feature on vintage machines. They do sew well though.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:36 AM

I use the FW I grew up on. I'm taking it to my grave with my arms wrapped around it. It makes fabulous buttonholes. I got a hand crank attachment,so I can sew when we don't have electricity.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 AM
mac

I LOVE my FW. I sew with a Bernina 1530 and I feel like I am sitting behind a cow when sewing. I never noticed that until I started using my FW. I take it everywhere, it is light, dependable, uncomplicated and sews a perfect stitch. I would highly recommend a FW to sew in the room with your family. Mine purrs and is not loud, so you wouldn't have to worry about disturbing anyone while sewing and listening to the TV.

FYI: If you want to save some money, I would get the less expensive machine, without the extra parts or case. As it is, I only use the straight foot and all of the other feet attachment are unnecessary if you already have other machines to do the same thing. I also never use my carrying case, as it just makes the machine heavier being made out of wood. I put my machine in a little roller case and that is just fine. Unless you are planning on selling it for a profit, the gold around the machine isn't important at all. Worn gold trimming brings the price down considerably.