Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Anyone use transmission fluid? >

Anyone use transmission fluid?

Anyone use transmission fluid?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Sunflowerzz;6747626]Okay,
What worked for these machines all of those hundred and more years ago will still work today. Part of the allure of these vintage machines is the simplicity that we are drawn to with lifestyles that nowadays border on hectic/frenzy.

I couldn't agree more, KISS, Singer oil is good non gelling oil, and these old sm were running long before teflon, similar hi tech additives, and automatic transmissions.
John in WI
Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM

My view is different; lubrication technology has improved a great deal over the years, and, although the old stuff is adequate, isn't it better to use better stuff if it is available?

I would also point to varnishing. I know that a big part of the varnishing equation is neglect, and that a regularly-oiled machine probably won't gum up, but why not use something that cleans as it lubricates?

My Kenmore from the mid '60's had a gold-ish tone to the metal cams and levers. I honestly thought that this was a chromate-type finish like you see on some bolts and other assorted hardware.
Turns out that this was in fact a film of solidified oil, and the transmission fluid has removed it. The internals of this machine look like they left the factory yesterday.
Why use an oil that will varnish over time, when you can use one that not only does not varnish, but actually removes the residue left behind by other oils?

That's my perspective, but then again, I can totally understand wanting to use 'period correct' materials on old collectible machines.

If you use and oil your machine often, you could probably use almost anything to lube it with. A sewing machine isn't a very demanding environment for a lubricant.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Banned

not sure how to word this... (deleted three times so far...)

I am curious if the relative mass and/or solid cast iron nature of the objects involved would be of effect. In other words, if the modern materials are engineered with the modern machines in mind, could the benefit to using them be reduced on systems that they were not designed for.

I say this because I know from personal experience, that companies today min/max their engineering. They will "de-engineer" something that lasts longer than a warranty. I can imagine a company doing viscosity tests and determining that their product is performing above necessary specs and reduce the key costly ingredients until they are with specs.

There was a different mindset prior to WWI..... Companies would compete to be "the best" not JUST the most profitable. I personally think that it was the governments of the world gearing up for War with the "give me the best price as long as it meets these specs" that was the beginning of the end...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbeat View Post
and keep cloths saturated in it handy in tupperware containers....
Could you perhaps be thinking of brake fluid or something?
I thought that too. I've cleaned up many an oil spill with cotton and have never noticed any damage.
Brake fluid is rightly the most likely suspect. It will lift paint off your car and combined with other chemicals creates other nasties.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Brake cleaner will do some serious damage but it will clean off 3 in 1 oil......
Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Brake cleaner will do some serious damage but it will clean off 3 in 1 oil......
Brake cleaner was going to be the thing I tried next if the ATF didn't unstick my machines, but in these cases it proved unnecessary, as the ATF did the job.

It's scary, but very effective!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm just really really used to the stuff I like being discontinued or changed so much that I have no interest in using it any longer.
I so hear you on this. I quit buying AVON because they kept dropping my fav products and don't even get me started on their rich moisture face cream from the 70's. I STILL to this day have not found a suitable replacement and the stuff they have now that they say is the same thing..isn't. LOL
Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 AM

Cool discussion. Someone took a huge bite of me when I commented the grease my husband used in big rigs looked a lot like lubricant. (I was joking)

My machines get mostly SM oil and occasionally TriFlow, especially if they are cranky when they arrive. It just has to work.

Welcome to QB.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-07-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: language
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 AM

Old school Prell (but I'm not sure the formula is the same on that, but that's what we used on my hair in 1987) or blue Dawn will cut oily stuff in hair. Heck, blue Dawn will cut oily stuff in or on anything.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
No amount of washing with soap, shampoo or even that gritty Fast Orange took it all out. I looked like I was wearing a greasy Tina Turner for a week, just in time for a Christmas party too. Since then, I can't stand the smell of transmission oil.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 AM

johnm,

Question for you:

These samples you are watching, are they in covered containers or open to the air? You probably said, but I don't feel like re-reading 5 pages over again to find out.

I asked because I have many quarts of ATF, Marvel Mys Oil, and others that are years old and are not ambering or thickening at all. They are now just as they were when I bought them. Minus what I've used from the bottles of course.

Joe