Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering >

A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering

A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Oh what a summer. I too have a lack in ambition to sew and/or work on machines. I think it is the heat. today is very cool with a wind and I am finding the ambition to house clean. yuk!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Sorry about your sister.

Well, my machine I was looking forward to from shopgoodwill was destroyed in shipping. Figures.
UGHHHHHHhhhh Did it even arrive or did they just notify you?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
UGHHHHHHhhhh Did it even arrive or did they just notify you?

It showed up. The machine was poking through the bottom of the box. One of the support feet was completely broken off outside the bubble wrap and the bobbin winder is permanently severed from the machine. Underpackaged and dropped, nothing new.
Not really an exciting machine either, just a Kenmore 148. Still. Same ol' stuff.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 PM

This morning I dreamed the Kenmore got unstuck. I was very happy turning the stitch length knob.

I was angry when I woke up.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
It showed up. The machine was poking through the bottom of the box. One of the support feet was completely broken off outside the bubble wrap and the bobbin winder is permanently severed from the machine. Underpackaged and dropped, nothing new.
Not really an exciting machine either, just a Kenmore 148. Still. Same ol' stuff.
So what happens now? Does Goodwill want you to send it back or did they give you a refund? I'm surprised teh delivery company would even leave it in that condition!
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM

So what happens now? Does Goodwill want you to send it back or did they give you a refund? I'm surprised teh delivery company would even leave it in that condition!
FedEx left the box label side up, hole in the bottom side down. Goodwill is having FedEx pick it up tomorrow. I have requested a full refund including all the shipping costs. I paid through Paypal and they cover these problems but it's going to be a lot of work for $24.

I'm almost embarrassed to ship it back in the condition they sent it in. The machine was wrapped with bubble wrap three times with a couple of clumps on the end of the box. Single box, the machine is fairly much free roaming. If the box holds it all the way back I will be shocked. I secured it as much as I could.

They also packing taped the spool pin to the top of the machine and the slide plate to the bed. Steer clear of middle Tennessee. Here's the bobbin winder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528338[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_8278.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember that for sure! What a mess. It's a shame it was so poorly wrapped. ow no one will ever get to enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 PM

Cool

Is my passion waning? Mine did. Or is it the sweltering heat and the smoke from the California fires keeping me from garage time? Yes it is for me Or maybe I have most of the machines I could possibly desire? This is true for me as I only have three or four more I want for my collection.

I feel like I am still looking, but not nearly as interested in taking a drive. Me too. Honestly, there haven't been many machines I've desired this Summer and prices seem to be up. Yes they are up and much more than I will pay now. I've seen a couple I might have chased after if they'd been closer.

Is this normal? It has happened that way for me. I worry about the hoard in the garage should I be losing interest. I have sold 6 in the last two months. A few at a time until they are all rehomed and all I have is my small collection. But then when I go out to work on them this Summer the smoky air and the heat drives me back indoors. They will still be there, take your time and enjoy the journey even if it ends for you at some time in the future.

I am focusing my energies on sewing instead and experimenting with different machines. Me too. I havequilting friends I met here and they have me sewing instead of collecting and it is a blast. I am really enjoying that more than the buying fixing and repairing now.

What about the rest of you? Are prices up in your area? Once you hit a certain level did you slow down on acquisitions? I only buy what is on my list if I come across it and if it is great shape and has a great price.
Hope this helps because you could be describing me!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 06:14 AM

It's interesting to see the same is for you and you are also in my area. Even when I' e been out cruising the yard sales I haven't seen as much this Summer. We've had several in our town where people are selling things like home made jewelry, or toys they've bought to re-sell, much more so than I've seen in the past. These are more like .99 cent shops in the yard than the typical sales with Grammas dusty old treasures. It must be a sign of the times.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:46 AM

Definitely a sign in our area. When I go to one store in particular before it opens there is a waiting line and ALL are men! except for me and those that wander up right on time. They almost knock each other down when the doors are unlocked and they run, literally RUN to the areas of the store they want to get to first. I kid you not. I always hang back because it smacks of the Cabbage Patch Dolls stampedes. Remember those?

One of the guys has a shopping cart he butts up against the door so no one can edge him out and he always heads for the video games section. He is always first in line and brags how he sells them on ebay for a hundred dollars. I wonder what time he gets there every morning???

Here is one I started yesterday purchased a long long time ago and she really is Mauve under all of that brown....see the little area I cleaned...LOL I can only work on her when I'am in the mood as she is really grimy and I have to cover everything. But she will be beautiful when I am finished. I have three like her and I have pretty much been saving them for last...
Attached Thumbnails sewingcraftroom-006.jpg