Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering >

A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering

A bit more sewing, a bit less tinkering

Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I'm so sorry about your sister.
Me too. I am sorry I didn't say that sooner.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 AM

I haven’t been tinkering with my machines much lately either. I’ve serviced a few for myself & others, but I’ve been doing more sewing than machine tinkering. Most of my sewing is mending.

And on top of that, my wife and I have been constructing a new larger fitting room for her alterations, so that has been taking up my time. It’s getting too hard for her to get down on the floor to do the pinning, so we built an elevated platform to make her life easier. To do that, we had to build a curtain enclosure to put it in outside of the old storeroom in the main area of the shop that has a 14-foot high ceiling.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20150803_171045-copy.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

I am in Southern California and so far no smoke nearby but the heat is having an effect on the amount of time I can sit quilting.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 PM

HelenAnn, I'm so sorry you lost your sister. It's tough, I know, I lost mine a year ago and I miss her and our fun we had together.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks , she was the youngest of eight and we did everything together. I almost had her interested in treadles.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:37 PM

Sorry about your sister.

Well, my machine I was looking forward to from shopgoodwill was destroyed in shipping. Figures.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 PM

I put the Kenmore 1400 back out in the heat with an extra dose of oil. The stitch length knob is still good and stuck. It had started to have a tiny give but then I cleaned up the last dose of oil with alcohol and it stuck again. It looks like there is a rod sliding out of a collar to rest against the feed dog mechanism and limit its movement. That is not popping out. I am going to poke at it with a screwdriver or something. See whether that moves or is the problem itself. And now I must worry some. This is the third time in not very long that I have heard of the viral infection that attacks the heart although this is the first person who did not pull through it. That is one person too many.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by HelenAnn View Post
Its been hard to stay in the house this summer. We have been having great weather and the gardens need attention. Prices do seem high, but then I hate to take on projects in the summer that would keep me indoors.
I got a new pup so will be spending a bit of time training him to be a good house mate and hunter.
Lost my little sister to a really weird viral infection a couple weeks ago. She thought she had Mono (at 53) infection went into her heart and she died before docs caught it.
HelenAnn, I'm so sorry about your sister....I can't imagine losing a sibling. I'm the eldest of 4, and we are all close.
My dad had the summer flu about 3 yrs. ago and it went to his heart. He was blessed in that, he developed A-fib and the blood clots that developed went downward and hit one of his kidneys and the spleen....the dr. said he'd never seen it go downward before. Usually it would go to the heart and cause a fatal heart attack or go to the brain and cause a fatal stroke. They prepared him for surgery, but the dr. found a small trickle of blood flow thru his affected organs and decided to give him blood thinners, and God did the rest. Today my dad is 78 yrs. old and very healthy!

Edited to add: Just wanted to add that I haven't done too much sewing this summer either. I'm just not in the mood to sew or do much of anything right now! I don't like being like this, but in my defense, I'm scheduled for shoulder surgery in 2 days time. I think it's the being in pain that's keeping me from doing too much.

My apologies to Mrs. SewnSew for hijacking this thread. I really didn't mean to.

Last edited by DebbieJJ; 08-19-2015 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Apologize for hijacking thread
Old 08-19-2015, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

I've done very little repairs since I had to move in with my parents. Occasionally I get a machine over here and then the right tool is at home.... Mom and I have done a few sewing projects so I've sewed more than I've tinkered. Once last week I broke out in a cold sweat and headed home and tinkered for about an hour while Mom was gone. My tiny screw driver was over here sigh........
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Well, my machine I was looking forward to from shopgoodwill was destroyed in shipping. Figures.

WHAT!?? pics.. how "destroyed" is it? Can we help?