Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bitten by the Vintage Machine Bug >

Bitten by the Vintage Machine Bug

Bitten by the Vintage Machine Bug

Old 04-16-2023, 02:48 AM

Default Bitten by the Vintage Machine Bug

I recently purchased a Singer 201-2. It is is great condition for its age. It was built in NJ in 1951 according to the serial number. Now that I have it and use it (it sews great), I find myself wanting to purchase more (hence title of thread). These older Singers have that classic design that just appeals to me. I would love to find one that was built in Bridgeport CT just to have one since I am originally from the Northwest corner of CT.

Shari
Old 04-16-2023, 09:01 AM

Sewing Machine Acquisition Disorder. You can look it up in the DSM5.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
Sewing Machine Acquisition Disorder. You can look it up in the DSM5.
I'm afraid I have it!
Old 04-17-2023, 03:24 AM

Welcome to the obsession. The only treatment is acquiring 1 to 2 "new" sewing machines per month.

The 201-2 is arguably the apex of straight stitch sewing machines. There's a case to be made for the 301A, but you'll have to get your hands on one and decide for yourself... One of my personal White Whales is a 1200-1, nothing but a 201-2 in an industrial type table with a Knee Lift!!

What are you looking out for next?
Old 04-17-2023, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
Welcome to the obsession. The only treatment is acquiring 1 to 2 "new" sewing machines per month.

The 201-2 is arguably the apex of straight stitch sewing machines. There's a case to be made for the 301A, but you'll have to get your hands on one and decide for yourself... One of my personal White Whales is a 1200-1, nothing but a 201-2 in an industrial type table with a Knee Lift!!

What are you looking out for next?
I was looking at some Featherweights yesterday. My issue is no room for another machine. If one "fell" into my lap, I certainly wouldn't turn it down though. If I were to acquire another one, I think the modern Brother I have would have to go
Old 04-17-2023, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
I was looking at some Featherweights yesterday. My issue is no room for another machine. If one "fell" into my lap, I certainly wouldn't turn it down though. If I were to acquire another one, I think the modern Brother I have would have to go
That's when your machines start living in their cases under your sewing tables and you rotate them out. I'm at the point where I do that a lot
Old 04-17-2023, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by sschick View Post
... no room for another machine ...
I'm sorry. This does not seem to compute.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
I'm sorry. This does not seem to compute.
There's always room for one more at my house! I think that could be part of the problem.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:10 AM

I suppose they could live under my sewing/cutting table.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:21 AM

Thanks for sharing your "SMAD" problem. I was bitten by the bug, but my husband saw what I did in refurbishing an antique machine, and he was bitten hard by the bug, too. I can't count how many machines I have now. I just fixed one to sell, but it's such a work of art, I'm not sure I can part with it. Even my daughter, who has no interest in sewing machines saw it and asked, "you aren't going to actually sell that, are you?" We are in danger of needing to build an addition to our home to house the museum!

I don't often need the bells and whistles of modern machines. The old mechanical machines will still be sewing in 200 years with a few drops of oil.