Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Which Black singer should I get?? >

Which Black singer should I get??

Which Black singer should I get??

Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM

Here's a link to a good article on why some bobbin/hook assemblies are more desirable for certain tasks. Good luck picking the right machine for your needs. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...-vertical.aspx
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 PM

I have all those in my collection and they are all wonderful-----but I would go to my 201 for anything......I gave a 15 to my DSIL and he likes it so well......
Old 10-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

evil laugh - get all of them so you have some selection.... set each one up for a task... or a thread color or just decorate your space - all those old black machines are deserving...
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 AM

I think you will be happy with any black Singer! They are just so well engineered and built! I have two FW's, a 66, 101, 201, and a 15-91. All are great. The 201 is one of my favorites, but I can't FMQ on it because it is a hand crank! But for piecing it is a powerhouse and makes beautiful stitches. My 15-91 is probably my absolute favorite, even above the FW's. The stitching is awesome, it runs quietly, it is powerful, and, best of all, the feed dogs drop and it does beautiful FM quilting!
Just look for a machine that has been well cared for and I don't think you can go wrong! But I would recommend a 201 or 15-91 highly.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:20 AM

The 15! They are my favorite ever! I have the 301, the Janome 9500, and others. I use them all and love them all. I went out and bought a second 15 just in case something would happen to Matilda! yes, all my machines are named. I agree with the others, any black Singer you will be happy with. I must admit the 15 is my go to machine.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM

A Singer 15-91 is a good choice if you want to consider doing some FMQ on the sewing machine. If you are considering a 201, that is an excellent machine choice. You would be very happy with either one. Parts are very available and you can maintain them yourself.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM

I love my Singer 15's for the perfect stitch and FMQ. I tend to like any and all machines with the vertical bobbins because I'm at that age where I need bi-focals. I am able to see that tiny screw to make any tension adjustments when I can hold it in my hand and adjust it to my eyesight. My favorite is my green Singer 15-125.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Some of the best machines I've seen have been machines that have been USED and USED and USED. I don't think 'well cared for' is a top necessity as long as it has no rusted parts - dirt and grime can come off, dried on grease preserves it from rust - My mom's of FW sewed everything, looks terrible but still works like a new one. On the other hand... I have gotten machines that looked like they were fresh out of the store - more than once, there has been something that was never set up right - the machine did not get used. Yeah, basically a new machine but no character... and a lot of repairs.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Some of the best machines I've seen have been machines that have been USED and USED and USED. I don't think 'well cared for' is a top necessity as long as it has no rusted parts - dirt and grime can come off, dried on grease preserves it from rust - My mom's of FW sewed everything, looks terrible but still works like a new one. On the other hand... I have gotten machines that looked like they were fresh out of the store - more than once, there has been something that was never set up right - the machine did not get used. Yeah, basically a new machine but no character... and a lot of repairs.
I didn't mean to upset anyone with the "well cared for" statement. I guess to me well cared for is one that was not left in a damp basement and rust had set in. I have cleaned up some pretty pathetic machines, also, and they sew great. I guess I should have defined "well cared for" a bit better...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
I didn't mean to upset anyone with the "well cared for" statement. I guess to me well cared for is one that was not left in a damp basement and rust had set in. I have cleaned up some pretty pathetic machines, also, and they sew great. I guess I should have defined "well cared for" a bit better...
It's ok - my sister and I cleaned up my mom's old FW last year for Christmas - if you missed it, we took pics and had some fun on here - here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t174236.html